Prologue

Author's note: Because this is humanized, just one thing: Hands are used to do magic, so a hand is the equivalent of a horn (when casting spells).  

"Hello, Luna." Sombra appeared in the throne room of the castle, smoky shadows frisking around him, radiating trepidation and ruthlessness in their purest forms. Another entourage of lost souls pledging themselves to a king who has no right to rule.

Luna gasped, whirling around to face him. His chin-length raven hair rippled just like hers. Clad in gleaming silver armor and a blood-red cape lined with white fur, he looked every bit the king he claimed to be. A spiked obsidian crown rested amongst his locks.

A crown of lies, Luna thought. For if the rumors were indeed true, he had journeyed to the depths of Tartarus to strike an unspeakable bargain, transforming himself into this monster of his former self.

His lips curled into a sadistic, deranged smile at the sight of her, revealing white fangs. Scarlet irises met midnight blue, devoid of the man Luna knew.

No. Nononononono, she fell to her knees, bile clawing at her throat, but she held it down, swallowing painfully.

"What happened to you?" Her voice was usually a razor-sharp demand, but now, it barely reached the criteria for an undertone of a whisper.

Luna could feel his confidence crack ever so slightly. Small hints of anxiety reflected themselves in his eyes. "Aren't you happy for me?"

His fearsome appearance was just another illusion to cover up his everlasting insecurity. For underneath the armor and crown and fangs, he was just a boy. An extremely powerful and dangerous one, yes, but just a boy.

"My hand is fixed. I'm powerful, just like you. Now we can be together, and no one can tear us apart again. We can be the puppet masters this time. We're in control." Sombra approached her with the elegant, refined strides of a king.

"What did you do to yourself?" Luna demanded, refusing to believe he would actually use dark magic.

"I...made a bargain," Sombra hesitated for a second. "But why does that matter? This was our dream."

"Look at what you've done to yourself, Sombra! You turning yourself into a cold-blooded sadist was not our dream!" Luna screamed. First Chrissy. Then Discord. Now him. All her friends were turning into monsters.

But he was so much more than just a friend.

"Guards!" Luna commanded.

Distraught footsteps pounded on the marble floor and the giant doors exploded open. An army of 20 men stormed towards them, deadly crossbows aimed at Sombra.

With a flick of his hand, obsidians cracked through the floor, sending fragments of marble flying.

A crystal spike skewered one of the guards. Blood erupted from the man's chest, Luna gasping as the hot droplets sprayed her with red. The man's mouth was open in shock, a thin stream of blood trickling out of it. Crossbows were raised and arrows whizzed through the air as he drew his last breaths.

"Too slow," Sombra tsked as more obsidians burst from the ground, impaling the rest of the guards.

The screams that erupted from them shouldn't have been ones that she heard from the chests of humans: they were full of excruciating pain and agony, guttural, almost animal-like sounds.

The metallic tang of blood was too-present in the air, the sickening stench of it threatening to make Luna collapse.

"You really went to Tartarus to make the deal," Luna seethed.