Chapter 7: Luna

A low rumble shook the earth, knocking Luna off her feet as she lost concentration.

"Sister? Did you drop the moon again?" Celestia called from a balcony a few towers away, writing her letters on scrolls of parchment.

"Yes," Luna grumbled. "Maintaining focus is hard. You try lifting one of these!"

"I raise the sun, dear sister," Celestia retorted, stabbing her quill in her ink bottle too hard.

You always overshadow me. The moon once again attempting its shaky descent.

"Use your core! It helps!" Celestia suggested.

Luna grunted, lifting the moon almost halfway into the sky-

Crash! Blinding pain seared the back of her head. Rainbows wove in and out of her vision while she rode a rollercoaster of dizziness.

"Luna! Luna! Are you ok?" Celestia fluttered over from her balcony, unfurling magnificent white wings, looking less like a worried sister and more like the goddess everyone thought her to be.

"Yes...no...." Luna trailed off. A few families had come out of their houses to see what had happened. In the sea of her blurry vision, she spotted a few trees that had fallen over, barring the sidewalks.

"Let me help!" Celestia flew over, using her telekinesis to lift the trees back up and performing a rerooting spell.

"Thank you, Princess!" The citizens cried out.

Clenching her jaw to stop her smart mouth from releasing some sarcastic, snarky remark, she tried not to let the praise get to her.

Celestia always got the attention. For years Luna had grinned and dealt with it, been a pushover and a doormat. But she was done. It was time she took what was meant to be hers.

Brushing the dirt off her gown, she rose. She brushed her hair out of her face and squared her shoulders back. To channel her core energy through her fingertips and into raising the moon, she started chanting.

"Ascend to the heavens!" She announced to motivate herself. "Find your place up above!"

The white orb stuttered a few times on its way up, jittering as if it was nervous, but found a rather nice resting position in the sky.

"I did it!" She shrieked, sweat creating a sticky film on her forehead, which her loose curls clung to eagerly. "I raised the moon!"

Everyone else was cheering for her. "All hail our Princess of the Night! All hail Princess Luna!" She inhaled deeply, was this what glory felt like? How sweet it was to be the center of everyone's universe!

Then she opened her eyes, and saw the almost vacant streets down below.

"I can't believe it's dark outside," A child whined.

"Ugh, the night sucks. Now we can't play anymore," another child complained.

Luna bit back the tears she was hiding. I'd like to see you try and raise the moon. I could slit your throat right now and have you begging on your knees for mercy.

The whispers in her head were tormenting, but so true. She was tempted to stand up to them and teach them a lesson. But what would it do? Nothing really. She would just end up turning more people against her.

"You know what?" Luna screamed to the sky, hoping someone would hear her out. "No one appreciates my work. You know, I have this friend who thinks everything here has a purpose. My moon serves no purpose, so therefore it can go. Ciao, adios, goodbye!" Luna strutted off the balcony, brutally slamming the moon down behind her.