Chapter 6: Sombra

A dull, throbbing pain in his leg. A pulsing headache. Contusions splattered across his skin. Cuts on his neck.

His once healthy body reduced to a broken mess.

"He's awake," One of the nurses uttered to another.

"3 days! I thought he wasn't going to wake up," Another commented.

Sombra opened his eyes, closing them immediately. The white-gold lights of the room scalded them , while ambiguous figures frisked around the ward.

"Sombra!" A familiar voice called, relieved but desperate.

"Jet!" Sombra rasped, wincing at the searing dryness in his throat.

He blinked multiple times, the distorted blobs shifting into people. Jet lay in a hospital bed a few feet away from him, a clear liquid pulsing into his arm while nurses monitored them.

"How was your beauty rest?" Jet asked, groaning as he rolled over to face his brother.

"Well let's just say I'm not ready for modeling," Sombra joked. "Do you know what happened after I threw the Molotov?"

"You passed out. The vampires got busted by Celestia and Chrissy, but managed to throw another Molotov at them. Specter and Ebony fled the Starry Nightclub. Luna's safe. I think she's in the hospital as well," Jet filled him in.

A nurse burst in, pushing a tray. "Good morning boys! My name is Skyla and I'll be your nurse for the next few days. Now, I have your lunches ready."

Sombra licked his lips, as he was starving from not eating for 3 days. His main dish contained juicy steak resting on a bed of pearly white rice, while off to the side was a ripe avocado sprinkled with salt. A tiny container held a mixture of dried fruit, and the meal came with what looked like a milkshake.

He grabbed his utensils, ready to cut into his steak-

"My hand! Jet, it's fixed!" Sombra exclaimed, testing it out.

It was normal. Beautifully, outrageously, painstakingly normal.

Sombra's heart grew wings and broke through the ceiling-his dreams of being a magician could now come true! He imagined himself going to the Canterlot School of Magic. He'd graduate with flying colors, winning valedictorian and the respect of his classmates. He'd be able to follow his passion in magic, going on to become one of the greats. His name would appear in books, he'd be the one they'd be talking about. He'd spend his days with Jet, Luna and Chrissy.

He opened his eyes, his untouched meal staring back at him.

Even powerful magicians need to eat. At least have your "Victory Meal" first, he thought, picking up his fork.

The almost micro-sized portions of everything made his heart sink. Slight underwhelming for a victory meal. Oh well.

He cut off a piece of steak. It was bursting in rich flavor, tender and salty and perfect.

I could eat two of these meals!

But as he continued, he found trying to finish the meal a great effort.

The brothers ate in silence, relishing the delicious food.

"Funny, isn't it? The best meal I've had in my life is hospital food," Jet commented, cramming a handful of dried fruit into his mouth.

Sombra half-shrugged and continued sipping his chocolate almond protein shake. "It's still food. Good as any!"

Jet nodded, popping a berry from his protein shake into his mouth.