Chapter 2: Sombra

Three weeks had passed since Sombra's encounter with the mysterious princess of the night, but the memory of her was ever-present. 

"Red-eyed Tartarus spawn! Red-eyed Tartarus Spawn!" His classmates chanted as he walked down the run-down halls to his history class, their voices echoing like a symphony of nails on a chalkboard. 

He shook his bangs out of his face, trying not to lash out at them with magic.

  Oh, how I would love to nail them to the wall by their fragile little necks, He couldn't help thinking. 

For years, they had relentlessly tortured him. When he was in elementary, it was excluding him from their activities and calling him names. Since middle, it stealing his books and beating him up in groups. 

Not to mention the psychological torture. He'd had dead, gutted animals put in his locker, not to mention homemade bombs. 

But that was only in school. The PoisonBloods, the gang that Bijou and Onyx were part of was constantly targeting him and his brother.  

Don't let your magic get out of control. He kept telling himself.  But years of hatred had built up inside of him, threatening to overflow.  

Then he remembered....today was the day when he turned 18. Today was his birthday! Which meant he could blow this slum-town forever.  Blow this town and never come back. 

He could move to Canterlot and become a magician. He could become a vagabond and spend his days exploring the world.  Heck, he could even move to a small, isolated village and indoctrinate everyone into believing he was the king of an empire. 

But what he really wanted was to see Luna again. Maybe they could travel together or try to master the art of magic. What if he saved up enough money to fix his hand? 

Things would be perfect.

"Tartarus spawn! Orphan freak! Red-eyed monster!" His classmates chanted, snapping him out of his fantasies.

Sombra didn't know who threw the first punch and he would never find out.  

Pain exploded at the back of his head and ambiguous shapes of black and red swam before his head like crazed sea creatures. He roared in pain as he fell: a hit at the back of his head could potentially be fatal. 

But he was tired of gritting his teeth and shoving his emotions away, like a "strong boy" should.  When did his well-being ever matter? Why did he have to hide his emotions?  

It's my turn now.  

He lashed out with magic, shooting in the direction of his assailant. He heard someone's cry of pain, but more hands just kept coming for him. 

He inhaled sharply, channeled his concentration into a spell....nothing came out.  His magic wasn't very reliable and sometimes didn't come out at all.

"Oh! Fight! Fight! Fight!" The students yelled.    

It's my turn now. My turn to fight back. My turn to destroy. 

And suddenly Sombra's mind was replaced with that of a rabid beast.  He didn't think, just kept striking and striking and striking until his attackers lay on the ground, whimpering inaudible words. And he relished their fear. He loved the way they would shy away from him when he walked towards him. But he had no mercy. 

So he destroyed them even after they were broken. Punch after punch, magic blast after magic blast, spell after spell.....

A claw wrapped around him, threatening to wound him.  He instinctively bit down hard on it, tasting the salty and metallic red liquid: blood.