Transformation: Part 1

Note: This chapter takes place two weeks after chapter 18, so roughly around the time when Sombra defeats Celestia in her attempt to reclaim the Empire.

Every morning she woke up, hoping it would be different. But then she would catch a glimpse of herself and stifle a scream and realize that this was her now, it always would be, and this was never going away.

She hated how thin she was, how weak she was. Three years ago, her anorexic self would've killed to be here. But her skeletal appearance made her look on the brink of death.

No matter how much she ate, she never felt full. Every day, her need to slake that hunger grew.

Time to go to work, Chrissy thought. She had managed to find a job giving out beauty products samples at the market.

After what happened with the Wish Granter, she had run as far away from that place as she could. She had decided it was better to start anew, so she had set her sights on Dong Cheng, a bustling town in the far east.

Known for its diverse mix of cultures, she had decided to settle there. She rationed out her supplies on the way there, pawning a few things she had originally brought with her to the Wish Granter.

A week ago, she had got the job and rented a small cottage in a quiet neighborhood. Things were starting to come together.

Now for the transformation. She closed her eyes, envisioning Evie. Her skin turned pale, her hair pitch black with ice blue tips. Amber eyes. Five foot one.

Oh, she missed Evie so much! Evie, who was probably back home, taking dance lessons and might be worrying about her. How she wanted to see her again....

No. Not like this. What would she think of you?

But nevertheless, she took Evie's form. Evie was someone who had brought her happiness. Given her confidence. It was easier for her to maintain her form when it was someone she knew and trusted.

Remember Chrissy, today's a new day! She told herself.

*****

The smooth roads were perfect for the sheer number of people who passed through. It was a coastal town where many different people came and went. It was the kind of place that never slept. The market itself was always open, but closed briefly from five to six for the night market to open, and again from six to seven in the morning.

Evie's form, with its almond-shaped eyes, small nose and slender build blended in significantly better than Chrissy's new transformation.

Chrissy gave a wave to Chung-Ae, who sold pickled vegetables. The familiar aromas of garlic and chili swathed the stall in a comforting embrace.Today, the elderly woman was holding up a bowl of pearly white rice mixed with vegetables. When she caught her eye, she immediately broke into a toothy grin.

"Chrissy!" Chung-Ae called.

"Hi!" Chrissy replied , giving a little wave. She continued trudging through the crowd, the density reminding her of a crowded dressing room.

Foreign languages swarmed around her.

"漂亮的裙子!又便宜又很高品质的!" She furrowed her brow. Something about dresses and low prices.

"これはいくらですか?" How much does this cost? She knew basic phrases in most of the languages spoken here.

"너무 비싸요!" Someone exclaimed from her left. Too much. She had heard that phrase uttered hundreds of times a day.