The Fires of Pompeii (1)

If her outfit doesn't load:

The Doctor opens the TARDIS doors and Poppy grins in excitement as she follows him outside

"Ancient Rome. Well, not for them, obviously. To all intents and purposes, right now, this is brand new Rome," They start walking down to old street and Poppy's in awe.

"Oh, my God. it's, it's so Roman," Donna looks around

"We're in ancient Rome. Like, actual ancient. A cell phone hasn't even been invented yet!" Poppy can't help but hug The Doctor "This is amazing!

"It's fantastic!" Donna agrees and hugs the Doctor after her. He just smiles as Poppy walks ahead of both him and Donna - their conversation falling death to her ears. She's in her own world until she notices a sign.

"Hold on a minute. That sign over there's in English!" She points to it and Donna looks to The Doctor in anger.

"Are you having us on? Are we in Epcot?"

"No, no, no, no. That's the TARDIS translation circuits. Just makes it look like English. Speech as well. You're talking Latin right now,"

"Oh, I love her," Poppy had learned that the TARDIS was a she and god did she never cease to amaze her.

"Seriously?" The Doctor nods "I just said seriously in Latin!" Donna pauses and thinks for a moment "What if I said something in actual Latin, like veni, vidi, vici? My dad said that when he came back from football. If I said veni, vidi, vici to that lot, what would it sound like?"

"When did you start asking interesting questions?" Poppy asks as she strolls next to The Doctor

"I'm not sure. You have to think of difficult questions, don't you?" The Doctor looked interested as well

"I'm going to try it," she walks up to a fruit seller

"Oh, good lord," Poppy dreads the conversation to come

"Yeah, this might get awkward," The Doctor agrees

"Afternoon, sweetheart. What can I get you, my love?"

"Err, veni, vidi, vici," Poppy face palms

"Huh? Sorry? Me no speak Celtic. No can do, missy,"

"Right then," Poppy tears her hand away from her face as Donna comes back

"How's he means, Celtic?" she asks

"Welsh," Both the Doctor and Poppy respond.

" You sound Welsh. There we are. Learnt something,"

"Don't our clothes look weird?" Poppy asks and Donna nods, agreeing with her. Poppy was currently wearing a shirt, some jeans and some converse. The Doctor had told them where they were going, so Poppy asked the TARDIS. She wouldn't see people back in her time wear this sort of stuff. But the TARDIS had things from every time. So Poppy was quite happy to just choose what she wanted, not caring about current trends she could remember Donna telling her about.

"Nah. Ancient Rome, anything goes. It's like Soho, but bigger,"

"You've been here before then?"

"Ages ago. Before you ask, that fire had nothing to do withme. Well, a little bit. But I haven't got the chance to look around properly. Coliseum, Pantheon, Circus Maximus. You'd expect them to be looming by now. Where is everything? Try this way," The Doctor leads both companions around the streets, they stop when they come out at a piazza. Donna taps Poppy and she looks in the direction Donna's pointing at.

"Not an expert, but there's seven hills of Rome, aren't there? How come they've only got one?"

"Yeah, I remember geography not being my thing. But I think she's right," Poppy agrees. The ground shakes and as she nearly gets knocked over, The Doctor catches her.

"Wait a minute. One mountain, with smoke," Donna starts and Poppy finishes

"Which makes this Pompeii,"

"We're in Pompeii," The Doctor agrees

"And it's volcano day," Poppy's eyes widen at her own realisation.