The Fires of Pompeii (3)

Poppy assumed she'd missed something. Because she was one moment calmly sleeping in a bed, the next running for her life/hiding behind The Doctor whilst a huge rock, fire creature was standing there.

"What the fu..." Poppy gets interrupted by The Doctor

"Water. We need water. Quintus. All of you, get water. Donna!" Everything's a blur, but when water's thrown on the creature, Poppy turns around to look for Donna, but finds she's not there.

"Donna?" The Doctor questions "where'd she go?!" he asks Poppy

"How the bloody hell am I supposed to know? I wake up from passing out and find that thing!" The Doctor nods slightly before leading Poppy out of the house in search for her best friend.

----------&----------

"Let me go!" Donna screams before The Doctor and Poppy enter

"This prattling voice will cease forever!" what Poppy assumes to be some kind of cult leader, swings up her knife.

"Oh, that'll be the day," Poppy casually walks in to their line of sight, The Doctor following.

"No man is allowed to enter the Temple of Sibyl!" All the women turn to face her

"Well, that's all right. Just us girls," Poppy snorts as The Doctor slowly leads them closer to Donna

"Do you know, I met the Sibyl once. Yeah, hell of a woman. Blimey, she could dance the Tarantella. Nice teeth. Truth be told, I think she had a bit of a thing for me. I said it would never last. She said, I know. Well, she would," The Doctor and Poppy are now standing over Donna

"I think that's a bit clue she did in fact like you," The Doctor cocks his head to the side before looking down at Donna.

"You all right there?"

"Oh, never better,"

"I like the toga," Poppy compliments

"Thank you. And the ropes?"

"Yeah, not so much,"

The Doctor unties Donna with his screwdriver

"What magic is this?"

"Let me tell you about the Sibyl, the founder of this religion. She would be ashamed of you. All her wisdom and insight turned sour. Is that how you spread the word, hey? On the blade of a knife?"

"Yes, a knife that now welcomes you,"

"Calm down love," Poppy puts her hands up.

"Show me this man,"

The women bow and Poppy steps towards the curtain "what am I? Chopped liver"

"High Priestess, the stranger would defile us!"

"Let me see. This one is different. He carries starlight in his wake,"

"Oh, very perceptive. Where do these words of wisdom come from?"

"The gods whisper to me,"

"They've done far more than that,"

"Might we beg audience? Look upon the High Priestess?" Two sisters draw the veil aside at Poppy's request, which reveals that the High Priestess is stone.

"Oh, my God. What's happened to you?"

"I don't know what tanning shop you're going to..." The Doctor and Donna look at Poppy as if to tell her it isn't time to joke "I joke when I'm panicked, or scarred, or both,"

"The heavens have blessed me,"

"Blessed?!" Poppy screams

"If I might?" The Doctor touches her hand "Does it hurt?"