Thirteen

August 23rd, 2018

It was 8AM and I couldn't stop tossing and turning. My brain seemed like it was trying to tell me that something was wrong. Very wrong. After another 15 minutes of tossing and turning, I decided it was time to get up, seeing as there was no way I was getting back to sleep. Dak went to work out with Zeke and Leighton earlier this morning, but told me to call him if anything happened or I just simply needed him. I knew I did.

"Hey baby! I'm just pulling into Smoothie King and I was just about to call you to see if you wanted one," Dak said as soon as he picked up the phone.

"Please. And please hurry home. I feel like somethings wrong. I just have a bad feeling about today. I don't know if it's MeMe, or us, or what but it's really bugging me and I've been tossing and turning the last couple hours just trying to fall back asleep but its impossible." I said sniffling into the phone.

"Baby girl don't cry. I'll get a Pineapple Surf and be home as soon as I can okay? I love you."

"I love you too."

*****

Dak didn't want to admit to his fiancé that he too had a bad feeling about that day. He was first awoken to her rolling away from him and realized she had mumbled something but he couldn't make out what it was. After that, he just had a gut feeling today wasn't going to be a good day but he couldn't place a finger on what it was.

After Dak had gotten 2 Pineapple Surfs from Smoothie King he hightailed it home. His fiancé needed him and he wasn't going to spend another second away from her. By the time he had gotten home it was already 9 and the sun was beating down making it heat up quickly. Thankfully Coach Jason had given the boys a day off from practice. If not, Dak was sure he was going to die from the heat.

"Angel I'm home!" Dak shouted from the front foyer as Piper came running to her dad. She had gotten so big since the couple had first gotten her.

"Hi baby girl! Where's your momma?" The quarterback said to the still small puppy, as he picked her up and walked into the living room.

"Hi." Shelby said from the couch. She was completely curled up in a ball, tears present on her face, and 'Gilmore Girls' softly playing on the large TV.

"Oh sweetheart. Come here,"

"Somethings wrong Dak. My anxiety has been so high since last night and normally when I have anxiety like this I'm normally right." Shelby said burying her face in Dak's chest.

"I wasn't going to say anything but I noticed your panic when I got up this morning. I kind of have a gut feeling something is wrong too, but we can't call and ask because we don't want to get any of them worked up and worried. Just breathe and count down from 20, that's what Nichole told you to do it you ever had one. Breathe baby." Dak said, placing his hands on either side of his sweet fiancés face.

"You're right. 20.. 19.."

The couple counted down from 20, taking deep breaths together. Dak knew exactly what helped calm Shelby down, after all it was his job to take care of her the best he could. He didn't want to toot his own horn or anything but he just knew he was going to be the best husband.

*****

4:30 rolled around and my phone rang. I knew it was my Momma just by the ringtone.