Chapter Eight: I Solemnly Swear to 'not' be Betrothed

"Ah, there you are, my dear." Father said.

"Yes, I was just dancing-" I began to say until I spotted the rather disturbing smile perking my father's lips apart. Uh oh...what is he up to?

"There is someone you must meet." Father instigates, with a happy clap of his pale hands. Which could mean anything but pleasant for moi. "Come along, dear."

The very sight of my father raising an arm in my direction quickly had my feet moving back. "As lovely as that sounds, father. I had jus-"

"No." Father interrupted, with stern glare flashing through his eyes, before snatching my arm away from my side. "There will be no mischief from you tonight, Emoriah."

His words instantly brought an innocent smile to my face. "Mischief and I? Why father, those two words would never dare to belong in the same sentence."

Unfortunately, my words only seemed to make my father's grip tighter.

"You will meet these people with an exquisite grace equal to any royal. That means no blabbing of the mouth and meaningless glares from you." My father then began to drill out the many possible words I was permitted to say. But it was of no use. Not when my gaze met a pair of cold blue eyes behind my father's shoulder, instantly filling my ears with a stale buzzing sound.

He was back for more? Surely one would grasp the visible hint 'that they were fully, and painfully unwanted' when a heel was driven through their bloody skin!

But still the sight of his dark tailcoat moving determinedly in our direction through the frivolous crowd sent a very much 'unwanted' shiver down my back.

Bah! Remember that tiny, yet ENTIRELY important detail of him not recognizing you! A snarky voice hissed in my mind, instantly sparking a fire in my stomach.

But I barely heeded it any attention as a sudden demanding voice shattered my thoughts away, like a fist to a glimmering glass "Emoriah! Are you even listening?"

"Why yes of course, father. You were speaking of exceptional mannerisms, were you not?"

Nevertheless, my words seemed to float leisurely by my father's ear, as he narrowed his cerulean gaze in full skepticism. "Why yes, I was. But that does not mean..."

"I believe, dear father." I interrupted him with an innocent smile, before capturing his arm within mine. "That we must not keep these spectacular people waiting, must we not?"

Then before Kaede could pounce, or even lay his dark glinting gaze on me, like a wooden arrow whizzing towards its target. The infamous, and most cunning I! Disappeared in the crowds of mammoth skirts and chivalrous men. Relief swept through my lungs and unclenched the hardened fist wrapped around my heart, as I made my escape.

Why are you running away, you coward!

Turn your arse around!

"Ah, there they are." Father said, before raising a pale hand in custom greeting.

As my eyes followed my father's gleeful gaze, I began to think of the numerous people...men my father was so giddy for me to meet. Ah, blast! What if I had walked blindly from one lion only to be seized by another?

But instead of a group of chauvinist pigs with a shining top hat perched on each of their heads, my sight was blessed with a miraculous view of wrinkled skin, ancient waving fans, and the glorious twisting of heavy scowls.

The old spinsters!

I smiled warmly at Mrs. Grewie as our eyes met, and if I wasn't mistaken, her lips tilted slightly upwards at the mere sight of me.