Chapter Seven - Tyler

A/N This is the first chapter set in current time, and I'm really displeased with it. Also, I'm also done editing so I know I'm not gonna need to go back and edit this chapter, so I'm just gonna post it now.

"Dude," James said, a smile pulling at his lips, "that is like, not okay". They were sitting at one of the back tables in the local fast food restaurant, with James and Tyler on one side of the table, and Michael on the other. It was still weird to Tyler– the dynamic they had as a threesome was very different from what him and James had when it was just the two of them— but he didn't mind Michael's company. The more he got to know the older boy, the more he enjoyed his presence and input.

"Why is that not okay?" Mike inquired, dipping a french fry in his ketchup and bringing it to his mouth. "Lots of people do it".

"That doesn't make it okay," James pointed out, directing his attention to Tyler then. "What do you think?"

Since Tyler had only been half listening to them for the past fifteen minutes as he reminisced on his time with Pierce on Friday night, he had absolutely no idea how to respond. "Uh..." He trailed off, looking between the two boys. The longer it took for him to respond, the more James's eyes narrowed. Knowing that he would have to explain what he was thinking about if he remained silent, Tyler answered, "it's completely fine," as confidently as he could manage.

Neither boy looked fooled. "You weren't even listening," James accused, and Tyler shrugged, looking down at his half eaten tray of food, preparing himself to be pestered. Instead, James explained the situation. "So Michael was talking about this new app he downloaded that hooks him up with single people in the area".

At this information, Tyler eyed Michael curiously. The last he had heard, Michael had feelings for James, but that had been about a year ago, when James had first moved to Illinois, so it was probably over given all of the things that had happened since. Still, it surprised him that Michael would do something like that. Online dating seemed like something very un-Bradford.

Even so, he didn't understand why James was acting so weird about it. As Michael had said, Lots of people did it.

"So?" Tyler asked, eyes sliding to the Bradford. "How's it going then?  Meet anyone interesting?"

"He doesn't use it to meet people," James cut in before Michael could answer. Slowly, Tyler's eyes shifted to look at his best friend. The fact that he didn't understand must have clearly shown on his face because James rolled his eyes. They'd probably discussed this when he wasn't paying attention. "He uses it to find people to have sex with". The way he said this was fairly amusing, whispering sex like none of them had ever had it, but the surprise Tyler felt dampened his need to laugh.

His eyebrows raised and he looked back at Michael, who was still shoving french fries into his mouth. It made him seem like he was nervous, but Tyler doubted that he was. There was no reason for Michael to care about what Tyler thought. "Oh. I see," Tyler voiced. "That's... interesting".

"It's really not a big deal," Michael claimed, blue eyes still on his food.

"You're having sex with strangers," James reminded, as if Michael didn't already know this. Based on the way he rolled his eyes, he did.

"So," Mike groaned, finally directing his attention upwards. "You two have sex on a regular basis. With my brothers. You really can't judge me about who I'm having sex with".

"Don't say it like that," James grumbled. "It makes it sound like the four of us are having sex together". Michael grimaced.

"I for the record," Tyler cut in, holding his hands up defensively, "am not judging you by any means".