Chapter Eighteen- Tyler

When Tyler woke up, an older woman was leaning over him, shining a light in his eyes. That might have actually been what woke him up in the first place, now that he thought about it, and he jerked back quickly with a groan. His head was throbbing. "What the fuck?" he inquired, only to receive a sharp slap on his arm. He turned his face to look at the culprate, his eyes widening at the sight of his mother, and then beside her, James. "What happened?"

The last thing he remembered, he had been in Pierce's kitchen, watching the man get him a glass of water. At the memory of the other man, Tyler sat up in bed quickly, ignoring the way the sudden movement sent a stabbing pain through his head, and looked around the room. "Where's..." he trailed off, his eyes landing on the doctor. "What happened? Why am I here?" 

"Your friend brought you in," the older woman explained. "Apparently you passed out and hit your head on a table on your way down. I'm Dr. Henderson".

"Uh, hi," Tyler greated before bringing a hand up to cover his eyes. The room was way too bright. "What's wrong with my head?"

"You have a minor concussion," Dr. Henderson responded. "You may be sensitive to light and sound at the moment". He nodded his head, keeping his eyes closed. "Is it alright if I ask you a few questions about your insomnia?"

"Sure," he grumbled, laying back down against the pillows.

"Do you believe your exhaustion was the reason you lost consciousness?" The doctor asked, and Tyler nodded his head, thinking about the state he had been in prior to falling.

"How did you feel prior to passing out?"

"Mentally unstable," Tyler provided. "I kept crying and I..." He trailed off, dropping his hand from his face and squinting at the light as he thought. "I drove, which was a horrible idea because I couldn't even see things, then I... woke up random people in that apartment building when I was trying to get in and then I laughed hysterically about it". He groaned then, recalling the way he had thrown himself at Pierce and cried when he had been told no. "I really embarrassed myself but I didn't even care what I was doing at the time I was just so tired".

"Do you feel better now?" She inquired, looking at him curiously through her glasses. She was holding a clipboard, and every couple of moments she would write down something.

"I have a headache, but I don't feel so tired anymore. How long was I out?" He asked this question to his mother, who seemed off for some reason. Maybe it was only worry.

"You've been sleeping here for about eight hours," she answered, avoiding his eyes. "I don't know the exact minute you fell asleep so I can't tell you".

His eyebrows raised, but Dr. Henderson began to speak, getting his attention again. "You probably had a psychotic break due to your exhaustion. It's not unheard of. You're lucky you were with someone who was able to bring you in".

At this, Tyler shot a look at his mother, who was just staring at the doctor with a blank look. "Uh... Yeah," he confirmed, feeling his face get hot. His eyes moved to James, who chewed his lip nervously.

"Do you have any idea what the cause of you insomnia is?" The doctor asked. "Are you simply unable to sleep, or is there something keeping you up".

"I think I'm just worrying too much about things and I stay up thinking," Tyler explained, allowing his eyes to fall closed again.

"Alright. That's common in many anxiety disorders. It's not my job to prescribe you medication for this, but we do have a psychiatrist who it may be beneficial for you to talk to. I would recommend making an appointment," Dr. Henderson advised, seeming unaware of the tension in the room.