Chapter Ten: Eighth Grade Gremlins

The bell that signified that recess was over rang through the air, (Y/n), who was chasing Dib and shouting curses as him, stopped and almost tripped over his own feet. (Y/n) stared up at the speaker before looking around, watching as everyone started to walk back inside. 'i'm probably going to get in trouble for having water all over me, ugh.' (Y/n) thinks annoyed, walking up the steps and back into the lunchroom. 'I have history class now, then back to Miss Bitters class for English.' (Y/n) thinks annoyed, walking down the hallway to the history classroom run by Mr Rotman.

(Y/n) walked into the almost full classroom, there was a smartboard at the front, and around 20 desks not including the teacher's desk which was in one of the corners. the teacher, Mr Rotman was writing something on the board, he was pretty tall, tan skin and short black hair with brown eyes. he was wearing a light blue sweater with dark blue stripes, dark blue jeans and dress shoes. He was clearly focused on writing things on the board, something about "eighth-grader buddies".

"Um, excuse me, you're Mr Rotman, right?" (Y/n) asks and the male teacher stopped what they were writing and turned toward (Y/n). "You guessed correctly! I'm Mr Rotman, and I'm guessing you're the new student (Y/n)?" Mr Rotman asked and (Y/n) nodded this time. "that's great (Y/n), for now, let's put you in the back until I get a seating chart." Mr Rotman said and (Y/n) nodded and walked to the back of the room, sitting at one of the empty desks, flicking some of his wet hair away from his face. 'Dib-shit just HAD to pour water on me, this is so stupid.' (Y/n) thinks angerly, laying his head on his desk and closing his eyes. 'just whatever, just avoid him and stop talking to Zim, Zim is interesting and cool, but seeing how he tried to drag me into an argument I didn't want to be apart of, I hate those types of people.' (Y/n) thinks and stays quiet, hearing footsteps approaching the back of the classroom. 'too quiet to be the teacher, probably a student.' was all (Y/n) thought, not even bothering to look up.

the footsteps stopped next to (Y/n), he heard a quiet groan from whoever the person was before sitting at the desk to his right. 'if it's Dib I swear, I'm going to leave and never come back to this class.' (Y/n) thinks and raises his head slightly, barely even looking to his right and seeing the im-famous Dib. "Oh fuck off." (Y/n) quietly grumbles, Dib glancing over at him and letting out a sigh.

"Alright (Y/n), I'm sorry for pouring water on you, how about we just start over, alright?" Dib says and offers a hand to him for a handshake. (Y/n) narrowed his eyes and grabbed Dibs wrist, turning his hand over and looked at his palm as if expecting there to be something, like a tack or pin or something to stab his hand, but there was nothing. "Did... did you really think I'd have something on my hand to hurt you?" Dib questioned, a disappointed and almost hurt tone in his voice. "Look, Dib." (Y/n) said, pausing to let go of Dib's wrist. "You seem like a slightly ok guy, but seeing the stunts you've pulled, I don't really know if I can trust you." (Y/n) said back and crossed his arms, Dib sighing.

'damnit, I need to get close to the enemy, I have to keep up on an act and actually be nice to him.' Dib thinks and offers (Y/n) another smile. "Well then, what would I have to do to get your trust back?" Dib says and (Y/n) just shrugged. "I don't know, I'll think about it." Was all (Y/n) said back and turned away, looking up at the front of the class.

"Alright, class!" Mr Rotman said, clapping his hands once to get everyone's attention. "You remember in 8th grade when you got highschooler buddies who helped you with your homework? Well, the school decided to continue that this year, isn't that great?" Mr Rotman said and smiled, waiting for a response from the students, only getting a 'that's gay!' from one of the students. Mr Rotman let out a small sigh and continued smiling. "Well, in ten minutes the 8th graders will be here, so finish homework or socialize with others until then!" Mr Rotman said and most of the students took out their computers, probably to play games or something.

(Y/n) took out his computer, took a few seconds to put in the password to log in before going to one of the games he liked to play. "So, (Y/n), where exactly did you come from?" Dib asks, turning in his chair to face (Y/n). (Y/n) stopped what he was doing and gave Dib a confused look. "Why do you want to know?" (Y/n) says with narrowed eyes, Dib frowning slightly. "Well, I want to get to know you, it's not every day you meet someone as interesting as you," Dib says and offers (Y/n) a smile, (Y/n) staring at Dib for a moment before laughing. "That sounded super gay." (Y/n) laughed and Dib's face started to turn a red. "That-That's not what I meant by that!

"I'm joking, Dib, geez you got offended quickly." (Y/n) said and Dib huffed and crosses his arms. "Whatever, just are you going to answer my question or no?" Dib snaps, using one of his hands to rub his face as if that would get rid of the blush. "Hm, well, I'm from New York." (Y/n) said back and turns back to his computer. "Where in New York?" Dib asks and (Y/n) shrugs. "I don't remember the exact place but I was poor as shit, like Kenny from South Park." (Y/n) said and shrugged. "This place is way better, I'd kill to stay here forever." (Y/n) said and looked away from his game to look over at Dib who was giving him a small sympathetic look. "Oh, i'm sorry you had to live like that," Dib said and (Y/n) shrugged. "It's fine, I'm here now and it's better I guess." (Y/n) says and shrugs before letting out a sigh and mumbling something.

Dib and (Y/n) sat in silence before Mr Rotman clapped his hands again. "Alright class, the eighth graders are here, put your stuff away please." Mr Rotman said, the sophomore students putting their stuff away as the eighth graders started to walk in. 'fricken gremlins.' (Y/n) thought annoyed and put his stuff away, around 20 eighth graders stood in the front in a line. "Alright, each eighth grader gets to choose who they'll work with, first up is Devin." Mr Rotman said and a kid named Devin stepped forward, pointing to a kid in the front, clearly choosing the popular kids was what everyone would do. after around ten kids, there was Gaz. Gaz didn't even bother to look up from her game, suddenly pointing at (Y/n) with her left hand. "I choose (Y/n), he seems smarter than the rest," Gaz says plainly and starts to walk to the back of the classroom, sitting in the empty desk to (Y/n)'s left.

Dib was shocked, (Y/n) was slightly surprised, more surprised by the face someone actually called him smart. "Gaz? Why did you choose (Y/n)?" Dib asks his sister, Gaz not even looking over at him. "Because he seems smart and doesn't go on and on about ghosts and bigfoot," Gaz says back, earning a laugh from (Y/n). "Thanks, I guess." (Y/n) says back and Gaz just hums a response back. After a few minutes, everyone had buddies, except for a few unlucky sophomores who didn't get eighth-grader buddies because there weren't many eighth-graders.

"Alright Sophomores, go ahead and talk to your buddies, those who don't have buddies do something quietly." Mr Rotman says and everyone started to talk to each other, some highschoolers even ignoring the eighth graders. "So, I'll just let you play your game, it's clear you're close to beating that game." (Y/n) says and takes his computer back out to continue the game he was playing before. "What games do you play?" Gaz grumbled, (Y/n) glancing over at Gaz. "I play games like Outlast, Minecraft, sometimes Apex if my friends actually invited me to play with them." (Y/n) says back and Gaz hummed a response back, pausing her game and looking at (Y/n).

"Give me your phone," Gaz said and (Y/n) gave her a confused look. "What? Why?" He asked and Gaz glared at him an annoyed look. "Just give me your phone." she snapped and (Y/n) flinched before unlocking his phone and giving it to Gaz, Gaz taking the phone and typing something before handing the phone back, (Y/n) taking it back and seeing that Gaz added her phone number to his phone. "After school, you're coming home with me and Dib, we're going to play video games." Was all Gaz said and went back to her game. "But what if I have something after school?" (Y/n) questions, he didn't have anything after school, he just didn't want to be near Dib for a while. "Then cancel whatever plans you have." Gaz said back and (Y/n) let out a sigh. "Alright, fine."

(4.3 pages, 1634 words