Uncover

Just as I expected the General called for my report on whether or not Lisa had adapted and should be allowed to be in the field. I ran around my true thoughts with him, still unsure if Lisa was ready. To his credit the General sensed my hesitation and gave me two more days to decide. After that time was up, though, he'd need an answer. He made that point crystal clear. He couldn't have an unknown running around. He was already taking enough risk allowing me to be free with Lisa without any real net if something went awry. Essentially, this whole experiment was done on a whim.

Thinking vaguely about what to do, I make sure Lisa is still in the apartment and ask her to inform me or leave a note if she plans to go somewhere, but she tells me that she'll stay home. So I leave her to her doings in the kitchen then go take a shower to get ready for the day. I plan on taking Lisa out for my own personal test, to see if her micro aggressions are because she's cooped up or if it's something else. Granted, this may end badly, but I'll give Sandara a head's up on what I'm going to do. If I need her and Jisoo they'll be aware and ready. If this test works out, though, I can truthfully tell the General that Lisa is prepared to work without a doubt. At least with her in the field she won't have to go back to the Facility and be kept under lock and key for an undetermined amount of time.

As I'm stepping out of the shower I hear the doorbell ring, and I quickly wrap my towel around my body then open the bathroom door. Steam rolls out into the hall as I try to listen to see if Lisa has answered the door. She has, and if I'm not mistaken, she's talking to Sandara. I have no idea what Sandara would want right now but I need to talk to her, anyway, so this is fine.

Holding tightly to my towel, I hurry to my room and tap my door closed with my foot as I rush to find clothes to wear. I manage to put on underwear and a shirt before feeling the need to brush out my hair, and I tie it up still wet while I go into my closet to grab a pair of jeans. It's the most casual anyone but Lisa has ever seen me and I figure it's time Sandara saw me this way, too. We are neighbors, after all. Not only that but we're on the same level job wise. We're on equal footing now.

I stumble out of my closet with my pants around my ankles, trying to hurry so that Sandara won't be waiting long. Lisa isn't exactly a great conversationalist. She can be- she's certainly gotten better- but she's too forward for anyone but me to tolerate. I'm trying to teach her how to relax but it's slow going. She's too afraid of giving a wrong answer, which is practically impossible in a friendly exchange.

As I shimmy into my jeans, bouncing to get myself stuffed into the legs, I hear the softest squeak from the hall. My head snaps up, my jeans not yet covering my butt, and I see Lisa staring at me through my open door. I could have sworn I closed it. How long has she been watching me?

"Sandara..." she mumbles, her fingers twitching at her sides.

My face burns hotter than I thought possible and I freeze, both out of embarrassment and because Lisa's eyes are getting brighter. I don't want to make any sudden movements and trigger her.

"Can you tell her I'll be there in a minute?" I ask softly. Usually when Lisa is acting strange or too aggressive, if I give her something to do, she'll calm. This time, though, a terrifying growl burbles in her throat and her jaw clenches. My heart skips a beat and I gulp. Then, slapping a hand over her eyes, she spins around and slams my bedroom door shut.

Releasing a shaky breath, I pull my jeans all the way up and button them. Lisa has never done that to me before, not that intensely. She's never had to hold herself back that way before. I've never seen her so... distressed. And what was that growl? That was entirely new. Sure, she's gotten upset and growled before, but never like that. This time there was another underlying emotion causing Lisa so much grief.