Unexpected Guest

Lisa's voice trickles into my ears as I wait for all the papers to slide out of the fax machine. She's on the deck, talking to and feeding her damned birds. All I'm thinking is that she better tell them not to use our SUV as a toilet anymore. I'm sick and tired of seeing all that white on our car and our car alone. But then I think how truly strange my life has become.

The fax machine spits out its final piece of information and I put it in its rightful place on the stack I've made. Taeyeon sent over a list of magical creatures for Lisa to look through. Taeyeon wants Lisa to check if the council has their information correct, and to take out or add anything if necessary.

"Lisa, when are you going to do this?" I call as I stand, taking the stack with me. Taeyeon didn't give me a date to turn the papers in but I assume she wants them sooner rather than later.

Coming back inside from the deck Lisa pops a leftover grape half in her mouth. "When do I have to finish it?"

I hand her the stack then brush a stray, probably diseased, feather off her shoulder. "As soon as you can. I'll give them back to her when you're done."

Grunting, Lisa plops down on the couch and studies the paper on top of the stack. "This is tedious."

"It's important, apparently. You probably know tons of things they don't."

"I know I do," she mumbles sourly.

Walking to the kitchen I shoot her a look. "See? You're important." I open the fridge and study our groceries, not yet sure what I want but knowing I want something.

I hear Lisa sigh and the pen I left on the coffee table click. I'm actually not sure of the extent her knowledge runs but by the way she acted with Somi and the others, I'd say she knows her business. A twinkle of... something burbles in me and I grab a yogurt to eat my feelings away. If Lisa is so important to Taeyeon and GDragon, if she understands that world, she, or they, won't need me around. Lisa could go on her own to fetch werewolves or vampires or whatever. The independence she's gained with me only makes me more sure of it. I'll be left alone at home. I'll be left alone, and I don't want to be. I know I shouldn't want Lisa to be dependent on me but... Well... If it keeps her around...

Strong arms engulf me from behind and I yelp, startled, and drop my yogurt. Lisa catches it deftly to leave it hovering before my belly. "You felt as though you needed... reassurance," she whispers into my ear. "What's wrong?"

I let her cradle me for a moment before reclaiming my yogurt and pushing out of her grip. "Nothing. I was just... nothing."

"You cannot hide what you feel from me."

"Can't I have anything to myself?" I snap without thinking. It was stupid and I immediately regret it.

Pushing Lisa away with my scared feelings because I'm afraid she'll leave me makes absolutely no sense. "I'm sorry," I sigh.

Her expression turns sympathetic but she doesn't try to get close to me like she usually does when I'm not feeling okay. "Should I leave?"

"No!" I say quickly. That's the opposite of what I want. "No, don't do that. Come here, okay? Come here." I put down my yogurt and bring Lisa into a close hug. She rubs my back soothingly, whispering softly to me in another language.

"Don't worry when I feel like this- that, okay? It's just something I need to work through on my own."

Lisa pulls back to look me in the eye. "But it hurts."

"Like I said, I need to work through it."

She nods slowly. "I'll respect your decision."

"Thank you." I peck her on the cheek then pat her chest, hitting her amulet. "Try to get as much of Taeyeon's papers finished as you can."

"If I finish them before tomorrow can we go to Boonluang's baseball game?"

"We'd go anyway. Nothing has come up yet."

Lisa takes that in then returns to the living room and to Taeyeon's stack of papers. I'm tempted to join her just to see what kind of creatures exist that I'm not aware of, but I don't want to disturb her. I'm sure she'd be happy to introduce me deeper into her world, though.

Maybe next time.

---------------------

My ears twitch as someone knocks on the front door, and I hold back an agitated growl as I lift to a sitting position. Jennie is asleep beside me, my silk sheets curled around her half naked body, her breaths coming soft and slow. I slip out of bed and pad out to the living room before the next knock can come.

Pigeons coo on the deck as I open the front door and I scowl at the late night visitor. "What?" I snap in a whisper, not wanting to wake Jennie. She had been feeling funny all day and she needs the rest.

"Are you Lisa?"

My eyes narrow and I sniffs. "Who are you?"