Spin-Off 4: Reassesment

Jennie moved as fast as she could in her condition. She had gotten a call from a crying Tiffany about what had happened in her shop, and she immediately left the apartment in a rushed worry. Lisa had been taken to be seen by a Facility doctor, an old friend, Ariana. Jennie wasn't allowed down in Facility headquarters anymore but there was a small lab for ocassions like these hidden behind a veterinary office downtown. Lisa was already there and Jennie was rushing in through the front doors. She waddled to the back and was ushered in by a Facility soldier/vet tech. She held onto the tech's arm for support as she was led to the little waiting area just outside the operating room. Tiffany and Taeyeon were seated there, their heads down, in pure silence.

"How is she?" Jennie breathed, clutching the soldier with one hand and pressing her other to her lower back. Her feet were swollen and she wasn't wearing the shoes Lisa always told her to wear if she knew she was going to be walking vigorously.

Tiffany jumped up from her seat to give Jennie a brisk hug and take her off the soldier's hands. "Ariana's still working on her."

Stressed, Jennie allowed herself to be seated in a plastic chair. "What the hell happened?" She breathed in through her nose and out through her mouth.

Tiffany looked to Taeyeon, who turned to Jennie and said, "It was an accident. We thought we had the old ones but... well..." She ran a hand through her hair. "I'm sorry."

Jennie rubbed her stomach. "How bad was it?"

"She was stable when I passed her off to Ariana," Tiffany said softly, sitting in a free chair. "She'll be fine."

Jennie could believe that. Lisa was a fighter and she'd been hurt severely before, but she wasn't invincible. She could die as easily as a human if hit in the right place. It was Jennie's greatest fear that Lisa's extremely long life was snuffed out by a lucky shot. She couldn't survive without Lisa, especially not now, with the baby. She rested the back of her head on the wall behind her and shut her eyes. The wait was the worst, and her whole body ached, physically and mentally.

After almost three hours Ariana came out of the operating room with too clean hands and bags under her eyes. She was stressed as well, having had a baby recently and yet still going to work. But Lisa was a dear friend and she cared for Lisa enough to leave her baby with a sitter. "She's recovering," she said as she approached Jennie.

Jennie stood with the help of both Taeyeon and Tiffany. "Can I see her?"

Ariana nodded and took everyone to the operating room. It was sterile, mostly, and the bloody shards of glass once ground into Lisa's skin were displayed in a metal bowl. The room was obviously for animal surgery use but there were clear Facility adjustments. In the refurbished side of the room Lisa was lying on a clean bed pressed up against the wall, her neck and torso bandaged, her cheek stitched up. Her head rolled to look at the people entering her room, and she immediately smiled as best she could.

Jennie hurried to Lisa's bedside. "Oh, Lis..." She ran her hand up Lisa's arm gently. Even with all the shenanigans Lisa got into, it was hard for Jennie to see her girlfriend harmed.

"I'm great," Lisa said blissfully, infected by Jennie's hormones. "Ariana gave me the serum. I'll be perfect by tomorrow."

Despite herself Jennie chuckled. The serum was more than a miracle, speeding up the healing process unnaturally. She was extremely grateful for it. "I wish you wouldn't put yourself in harms way like this."

Lisa sat up and wriggled to be comfortable. "I didn't know this would happen. I misjudged the power of the old ones."

"They'll still be a problem for you?"