The Norwegian Ridgeback

A/N Hi everyone! I'm super sorry for not updating in such a long time. I just am utterly exhausted with my school life, so... my apologies! 

P.S. GO LISTEN TO BTS, THEY'RE SO GOOD!!!!

Y/n's POV: 

"So now we have something else to worry about: what might happen to Hagrid if anyone found out he was hiding an illegal dragon in his hut." Hermione said, summing things up. It didn't sound too good. 

"Wonder what it's like to have a peaceful life," Ron sighed, shifting through all of the extra homework. The two boys, Harry and Ron, were struggling to get through all of the homework. Hermione and I just excelled. 

I snorted, holding a crumpled piece of paper. Today at breakfast time, a note had come from Hagrid. It simply read, 'It's hatching.' 

"You're not gonna get to know anytime soon," I said. I glimpsed the necklace I had given Harry hanging around his neck, the ice pendant swinging back and forth. I smiled happily at Harry, who blushed but smiled back. 

"Ugh, stop flirting, you two," Ron groaned, draping an arm over his eyes and slumping in his seat. I glared at him and flung a scroll of parchment at him, the paper nailing him in the nose. 

"You're doing the Potions essay next, so get your arse working," I told Ron. The redhead groaned, but heaved himself up and grabbed his quill. "We should skip Herbology and go straight to Hagrid's hut. Who cares about plants anyway?" 

Hermione leapt up from her seat, hands on her hips and her expression extremely irritated. "Ronald Weasley, you're going to have to repeat this year if you don't pass the exams. And rate this rate, you're certainly not going to pass!"

"Hermione, how many times in our lives are we going to see a dragon hatching?" Ron protested. 

Harry frowned at the two, who had started arguing--again. "Come on, it's time for Herbology. And Ron, you are coming." 

Ron opened his mouth, but it shut itself when I snapped my fingers. Ron glared at me and tried to pry his mouth open but failed. 

I smiled. "Finally, some quiet. Let's go." 

Ron couldn't talk for the next thirty minutes. 

"Come on, come on!" Ron yelled, looking back at us while running down to Hagrid's hut. I rolled my eyes, suddenly disappeared, and popped back into existence in front of the said house. 

"Slowpoke!" I taunted Ron, grinning. Ron pouted. 

"That isn't fair. First of all, you're too advanced in magic and you can do all kind of spells! So. Not. Fair!" he exclaimed. I grinned. 

"That's not my fault, it's--" I cut myself off abruptly. I absolutely was not going to reveal the fact that my mother forced me to learn, to stuff my head full with incantations and bits of knowledge. Those were my problems, and I wouldn't worry my friends with them. 

"Nothing." I brushed Harry's look of concern off. "It is my fault. Never mind." 

Right on cue, Hagrid snuck out the door and ushered us inside. "It's nearly out." Hagrid's usually ruddy cheeks were even more flushed from the excitement. 

The large egg was lying on the table, several deep cracks penetrating the otherwise smooth surface. Something was moving inside; a funny clicking sound was coming from it. 

We all drew chairs up to the table and watched with bated breath. 

All at once there was a scraping noise and the egg split open. The baby dragon flopped onto the table. 

It wasn't exactly pretty; even I had to admit that it looked like a crumpled, black umbrella. Its spiny wings were huge compared to its skinny jet body, it had a long snout with wide nostrils, the stubs of horns, and bulging, orange eyes. 

It sneezed, and a couple of sparks flew out of its snout. 

I gasped. The baby dragon was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. 

I reached forward and scooped it up, ignoring Harry and Hermione's warning shouts. The dragon snuggled up in my arms, radiating comforting warmth and making me feel sleepy. 

"She's beautiful," I murmured, stroking the dragon's snout. It purred -- a growling, squeaky kind of sound. 

"Hagrid," Hermione said, not taking her eyes off the baby dragon in my arms, "how fast do Norwegian Ridgebacks grow, exactly?" 

Hagrid was about to answer when the color suddenly drained from his face -- he leapt to his feet and ran to the window. 

"What's the matter?" asked Harry, sitting upright. 

"Someone was looking through the gap in the curtains -- it's a kid -- it's running back to the school." 

I bolted to the door, kicked it open, and looked out. 

A Slytherin. 

I spent the days with Harry and Ron and Hermione, trying to figure out who had seen us. 

It was a Slytherin, I knew that for a fact. I'd seen the green on the black robes. 

But that was all we had. 

Like, HOW HAD I NOT SEEN AT LEAST THE HAIR COLOR?! 

Harry opened his mouth. "Can't you just--" 

"Nope," I interrupted, popping the p. "Whatever you can think of, it's crossed my mind and I've already considered it. Three times. I can't just ask them, because WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD ADMIT IT? And I can't threaten them either. When I claimed the position of the Queen, I showed power to prove that I was worthy of being the Queen. I can't just start forcing them to do things. 

"The Queen is the one that people think have the most power, but the Slytherin Court is a democracy. I'm just the one that makes sure everything is peaceful." 

Ron frowned. "But... you're still the most powerful out of all of them, aren't you?" 

I sighed. "Ron, just think for once. They are second years, third years, fourth years, fifth years, sixth years, and seventh years. Imagine if they all teamed up to get rid of me because I mistreated them and abused my power. I would get utterly destroyed." 

Now it was Harry's turn to question. "Then how did you gain the position of Queen?" 

I slouched on the table. My throat was getting tired. 

"I only beat Makksed. Not the entire Slytherin house." 

Hermione looked up from her book. "Should we go visit Hagrid?" It was random, but she knew I was running out of patience. 

I perked up. "Yes! Race you all there!" I jumped up and took off. 

Normally I would just Apparate to the half-giants' hut, but I wanted to save my energy. 

I was having a training session with Hermione later on. Re-learning how to focus my concentration, to channel it into my wand. 

For some reason, I felt shame. Humiliation that I would have to learn how to do magic again, for the second time. 

The only compensation that I had was that my natural powers. In fact, those came quite easily. 

I shook the thoughts off with an image of the beautiful baby dragon that would be waiting for me and forced my legs to run faster.