Chapter Twenty-Three

Play Your Melody by Jacob's Piano (Above)

Izuku Midoryia

Am I floating? No...it feels more like I'm swimming. I open my eyes. Darkness surrounds me but I don't feel like I can't breathe. How long have I been asleep? I look around, a small light catches my eye. It reminds me of a door, so I begin to swim over. As I get close enough to see inside it, the room on the other side is bright white, and has...me sitting in the middle.  

"Hello?" I attempt to call out, but the 'water' causes my voice to be muffled. 

I swim to the entrance of the door and suddenly fall inside. The other version of me looks up, but doesn't say a word.

"Hello?" I ask again.

"Hey." He responds, "Welcome."

"Where are we?"

"Your mind." He responds plainly, "You've suffered major injuries to the brain and the part of you that was there beforehand was sent to here."

"Wait...what happened?"

"You banged your head while on a rollercoaster with (Y/N)-chan. You were in a coma for a few weeks, but just woke up today. You don't remember anything about (Y/N)-chan or most of your life."

"Well then, you are you?" I question.

"I'm the subconscious version of you." He responds, "To put in plainly, the voice in your head."

"When will I remember everything?"

My subconscious ignores me, looking to the left. There is another window, this time, it's of my eyes. I'm staring back at the world I used to be in. It's such a weird sensation. I'm in my own head, but someone else that is just the amnesia version of myself controls my body and emotions. We must be on our way home from the hospital, because all I can see through my eyes stare at the road ahead.

"Where's (Y/N)-chan?" I mutter.

"You forgot her, remember?" My subconscious replies, going through many and many file folders that seemingly appeared out of thin air. "She left after you asked who she was, so you're getting a ride home from your mom. She seems to be the only one you remembered."

I stare through my eyes for hours, it seems. My 'outside' body falls asleep on my bed at home, so my subconscious and I eventually fall asleep as well. 

For weeks, I stared at my life as it flew past me. I didn't remember anyone from class 1-A, so when school started up again after summer vacation, everything was new. I'm still so vivid. It pains me to see my life flow past without me, especially when the person living my life forgot the one person most important to me, (Y/N)-chan.

Today, during lunch, the girl sits alone in the classroom. Her head faces the windows, and its also leaning on her arms. The amnesia version of me approaches.

"What do you want?" She asks, surprisingly angry.

"You said that we were friends before I lost my memory." The amnesia version me begins, "Could you maybe tell me something or show me something that might remind me of when we were friends?"

A hint of hope appears in my crush's eyes and she stands up, taking my hand. We leave UA and head somewhere. I recognize the area, but (Y/N)-chan continues to walk. Her face is unreadable, but I can see her emotions in her eyes. She's...terrified. After a few moments, we arrive a the Solaine restaurant that (Y/N)-chan and I went to for our first date.

"Do you recognize this place at all?" She asks, gesturing to the sign.

The amnesia version of me pauses, "It seems familiar. Can we maybe go inside? It might help."

She nods, and the two enter. She takes me to the exact same booth that we sat in on that amazing night. She orders the same thing, and prompts me to do the same. It happens to be karaoke night, but she can't bring herself to sing the same song. It wouldn't be the same without me singing it. 

"Anything?" (Y/N)-chan questions after we eat.

"No." He responds, sighing, "I remember this with you, of course I do! Ugh, it's there it's gotta be. Cause when I look at you, I feel it. I know you, but I can't..I-I can't remember."

She sighs, getting up and putting her money on the table, "Spend as much time here as you'd like, but I'm leaving. The meals on me."

"What? Where are you going?" I mutter to myself.

As if hearing me, she turns back, "I can't bear to watch my best friend forget me. I'm...I-I'm going to move on. If you remember me, that's great. But if not, I want to be ready to forget."

Tears flood my eyes, but the amnesia version of me stays stoic-faced as (Y/N)-chan leaves the restaurant and the bell rings as the door shuts. 

"Can't we do something?" I ask my subconscious.

"Technically, you could head to the control station where all of your decisions and actions are decided. Warning though, the other 'yous' don't remember (Y/N) now either, so try explaining it slowly. If you don't want to tell them, just let them know that I gave you clearance."

I get up from my position on the floor and rush to the control room. I tell the other versions of me that I was given clearance from the subconscious and they allow me to begin helping the amnesia version of myself. First, I go into the memories file. There are no traces of (Y/N)-chan or any other important parts of my life to find.

"Do we have any older files?" I question.

"Hm," one of the 'mes' respond, "I think there's a load of them in the closet back there."

Third Person

A week after (Y/N) showed Izuku the Soaline restaurant, they stopped talking. She kept herself from associating with Izuku, Ochaco, or Tenya. She also stayed away from other classmates. Mostly because she doesn't want to grow attached again. She's scared that the next friend she makes will also leave her behind. She became the quietest student in class 1-A and eventually, the class stopped asking her to come to parties or study sessions.

Except for one student.

Bakugo Katsuki.