Chapter 12

Here's to another day I guess. Wednesday. I arrived at school and instead of sitting by Rachel, I sat with Logan. I felt bad for abandoning her, but at least he would actually talk to me.

I must say, ignoring the fact that Logan was once a major jerk, he is actually pretty cool. We have the same interests as each other. We both love dogs, and, believe it or not, he likes to read too. He told me not to tell anyone that though.

"Ciao," he said after science, giving me a little wave. I waved back and went on to lunch.

Thomas and I hadn't spoke to each other all day, but every time I glanced over at him while Logan and I would talk, I could see a hint of jealousy in his eyes. However, at lunch, the shots were fired. Instead of sitting at my table, he sat at Haley's.

She placed his hand on the lower area of her back, very close to her.. Ugh. He looked extremely uncomfortable, but he let her do it anyway. Jealousy and rage tore through my body. I scanned the lunch room in sight of Logan, to which I finally found him. He was sitting with his football player buddies. I quickly walked over to where he was. He looked towards me, alarmed. "Brooke what's up?" he asked.

Jealousy raging throughout my body, I whispered to him, "Put your arm around me." I could see Thomas staring at us through my peripheral vision.

Logan looked at me with his mouth wide open and said, "Wait, wha-"

"Just do it!" I whispered harshly, interrupting him.

Logan got up and put his arm around me. I scooted closer to him so it looked like we were a couple. Thomas stood there with his mouth agape. Haley smiled in satisfaction, as if this was supposed to happen. Next thing I knew, Haley swiftly swung Thomas around so that their noses were barely touching, and they kissed. It felt like my heart was being stung with a million little prickers. I felt like I was going to puke.

Thomas struggled to get out of her hands which were gripped tightly around his neck, but to no avail. She was sucking the air right out of him. Rage boiled up inside of me like a cauldron of stew. I jogged over to Haley, and mustering up all the anger I had, I furiously pushed her out of the way so their kissing fest would finally end. She fell to the ground with a loud thump.

Thomas had his hands on his knees, practically gasping for air. He regained composure and looked at me with regretful eyes. I was done. The anger I thought I'd released by slamming Haley into the ground still was in my body, mocking me. "Brooke, I-" I abruptly cut him off with a slap across his face. He silently fell to his knees, then placed a hand on the red bruise.

The adrenaline finally being extinguished, I looked around myself. People looked at me as if I was some sort of monster. Even Logan. What have I done? I've always been the victim of hurt and pain but now.. now I was the one inflicting it. I had to get out of here. I turned around, and ran from the scene. "Brooke, wait!" I heard Thomas yell. I kept going though. And I never stopped until I was out of there.

I ran outside of the school building, regardless of the consequences. I huddled up near a bush and I started to cry.

I'm a monster, I thought to myself.

My loud sobbing echoed across the parking lot. It was fairly cold outside, but I didn't pay any attention to it. I heard the front doors of the school open, and I heard a couple sets of footsteps. I silenced my sobbing to listen.

"Brooke!" I heard Thomas yell. I then heard an aggravated sigh followed by a girls voice, "Tom she isn't out here just forget it." It was Haley. There was a pause and then I heard Thomas say, "You don't have the right to use nicknames with me. Plus I need to make this right."

"She slapped you for gods sake! And she pushed me to the ground! She isn't right for you!" Haley yelled.

"I don't blame her after the way I've acted," he sighed, "It's my bloody fault for this. And if you aren't going to help then feel free to go back inside."

Haley scoffed, "Fine," and then I heard more footsteps and the sound of the door closing shut.

I huddled my body together, the cold air really started to get to me. The tears and snot on my face were practically frozen. My teeth began to chatter uncontrollably. Next thing I knew, I saw a head peep out from above the bush. It was Thomas. He smiled and joined me on the ground, pulling me into a warm embrace. I hugged him back, so thankful that he had forgiven me.

"I'm sorry," I said into his shoulder.

"Don't be love," he softly said back, petting my head.

I looked up at him, tears looking like they'd fall from his eyes at any second. "I should be. I hurt you," I said, placing my hand on his cheek from where I had slapped him.

"Doesn't hurt that bad," he said, carefully grabbing my petite hand. Then, with his adorable Thomas Sangster smile, he said with a wink, "And besides, we're even now."

I cuddled into his warm body, relieved that the issue of him not talking to me was resolved. We'd talk about why that happened later. For now, I just wanted to stay in his arms forever.