Chapter 15

Finally after such a long wait, I was going to make my comeback to school today. However I dressed myself as I would any other day.

The thought of Haley made me dread going back. But I knew that I, and Thomas, wouldn't put up with her. This was going to be my fresh start.

Rachel and I hadn't talked to each other in a while, which kind of made me sad. I needed a friend to talk to after me and Thomas kissed and stated we were boyfriend and girlfriend last Wednesday.

I spotted Rachel as soon as I was dropped off at school. She was sitting in our regular spot. I walked over to her, my hands behind my back.

"Hey," I said shyly. It was embarrassing coming back to school after a suspension. The worst feeling, though, is showing up next to your best friend who knows what happened and is in all of the advanced classes and has the best of the best grades. It makes me feel like a delinquent compared to her.

She turned her head towards me and put on a half smile. "Hey stranger."

I moved my hands from my back to offer her a Snicker's bar, her most favorite candy bar of all time.

She glanced down at it, "Really?" she asked, a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

I nodded, a smile forming on my face. She slowly took the candy bar from my hands, and then leaned in for a hug.

We hugged until we were let inside school, and I felt so much better knowing that my best friend was back.

I walked to my locker, waving to Rachel as she walked by. I put my things in and then headed for home room. Thomas didn't show, which didn't worry me, but I still wondered.

History was next, and we had to work on an assessment with partners. Unfortunately, I was partnered with Logan. And I doubt he wanted anything to do with me, despite that one time after school when we actually got along. I saw the look in his eyes after I pushed Haley to the ground and slapped Thomas. I was furious and I couldn't control my anger. I've been picked on my entire life, and that day was when I popped. And I still regret slapping Thomas. Logan obviously didn't understand though. He looked at me like I was a monster. And I truly believed it after seeing the other students eyes.

I plopped down in the seat next to Logan. He showed no interest in working with me whatsoever. And for a split second when I hung out with him a couple weeks back, I actually believed that we could be friends. But nope.

I opened up my textbook and pulled out a piece of notebook paper. We had to answer eight questions that were in our textbook. I noticed he hadn't even open his textbook to the page. He just sat there, slumped in his chair, studying his pencil. I tried to pass time so he could actually prepare before I started answering questions. I put my name, date, and class period on the paper. Then I titled the page in a somewhat creative manner, and I even numbered my page. Still, he sat there like an oaf.

Irritation starting to kick in, I turned towards him. "Look, I know you think I'm the most horrible person in the world right now, but we need to get work done. Sitting there and pouting like a five year old won't get these questions answered."

He sat up in his chair, and placed his pencil down. He pulled out his book and stole a glance from mine to see what page he had to be on. Following that, he pulled out a sheet of notebook paper and then slumped back down in his chair.

Happy that he did that much, I started reading the first question.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Logan and I finished the paper, with still 10 minutes of class left. Of course, I had to do all of the work, which is one of the main reasons why I hate partner work. He hadn't spoken a word to me that whole time, which I would have happily accepted a month ago. But considering that we used to be comfortable talking to each other once, it just annoyed me.

The bell rang, and it was time for Algebra. I changed out my supplies for it, and then went on.

The empty seat next to me was a cruel reminder that Thomas wasn't here today. And I hated it when he wasn't here. Shorty after the bell, Mr. Irwin passed out a quiz, and it was thankfully on something that I knew.

The rest of Algebra went by pretty fast, and then I was on to science. We learned about the Earths' layers. Fun. Unfortunately Ms. Wuppack, our science teacher, wasn't here. And the substitute was horrible. He would never give us enough time to write down all of the notes.

About halfway through science, I saw Thomas walk in through the door. He looked sad. "Hey, what's wrong?" I whispered to him.

He looked at me, his eyes wet with tears. He spoke with a shaky voice. "I-I have to move back to England." My heart shattered into a million pieces.