Chapter Three

And the Cake

I had never really liked my birthday as a child. After my parents died I come to actually hate the day when it reared its party hat wearing head each year. To me it just always felt shallow to celebrate your own existence. Why should people bestow gifts upon you just for being a live? Someone else did all hard work when you were born.

Ironically I enjoy celebrating other people's birthdays. Well the Slades birthdays anyways.

But that's not really important. What is important is that to me my birthday was just another day and I hated having it celebrated. So when I woke up to what I hoped would be just another day and instead saw three beaming faces and a cake I just rolled over and pulled my comforter up over my head.

"Go away," I grumbled.

I heard Alpha George chuckled. He pulled down the comforter and his smile was impossibly brighter. "Rise and shine, Violet. It's time to get up!'

"I'm taking a sick day," I groaned pulling the comforter back up.

He pulled it back down. "Great, then we can spend the entire day celebrating!"

I scowled at him before yanking the comforter back up. "Enough tug-a-war with the comforter," Luna Kiara cut in pulling it down to the foot of the bed.

I sat up and gave the three of them the sink eye. "There are a few conditions for today," I said grouchily.

"Of course," Peter teased with a laugh.

I glared at him in particular. I held up a finger. "First, absolutely no presents or gifts of any kind." I put up another finger. "Second, no one is to mention or say the words birth or day or any combination thereof in relation to me." I straightened out another finger. "And third, no hugs." I dropped my hand onto my lap.

Peter rolled his eyes at me. "Fine." He lifted the cake slightly and his parents started backing away. "But you didn't say anything about no cake."

I narrowed my eyes. I used two fingers to push the cardboard tray up which shoved the cake into his face.

In cartoons when something like that happens that person's eyes bug out of their heads. Unfortunatly that doesn't happen in real life. In real like that person is covered in cake it chucks of it falls down onto my black carpet. Aw man! I just vacuumed all of the fur up!

Though when I saw Peter wipe, almost scoping, cake away from his face so he could see it suddenly seemed totally worth cake all over my carpet. I couldn't stifle my laugh very well.

"This is not funny," he said.

I bit my lower lip as another laugh bubble up in my chest. His parents were chuckling together at the foot of the bed. "I'm pretty sure it is," I replied.

He flicked his hands at me which efficiently splattered me with cake. The Alpha couple laughed louder at this as I inspected my now dirty black tank top. Peter grinned at me. "Now it's funny."

I stuck my tongue out at him. Alpha George stepped forward and raised a hand like he was going to put it on Peter's shoulder than looked at the cake and thought better of it. "Come on son, let's let her get dressed."

"And get yourself cleaned up," Luna Kiara added. "Violet don't worry about the carpet, I'll wash it for you while you're at school. It's the least I can do since you put a ban on presents."

I was about to reply when I saw Peter run a finger down his face and popped it in his mouth. "That's disgusting."

"No it's actually quite good," he replied.