Chapter Seven

Panic and Truth

"No way," I argued. "That old turkey only resigned because he knocked up some twenty-four year old waitress."

"No!" Kaylie gasped.

I nodded and popped another French-fry in my mouth. "It's true, but his son, the current Alpha, kept it under wraps. Probably too ashamed to admit that his father could land a younger woman than him."

"Oh my God," Kaylie said laughing. "I don't want to know how you know all of this."

Jared kissed Kaylie's cheek. "Well his son has since found his mate and that beats any twenty-four year old waitress."

"Says the most disgustingly happily mated couple ever," Cole said bumping my shoulder. "I've seen penguins that aren't that cute. It's revolting."

I shrugged. "You know male penguins aren't all that faithful."

Everyone turned to look at me. "What?"

Kaylie shook her head smiling. "How do you know all of this stuff?"

"I'll never tell," I vowed dramatic, earning me chuckles from round the table. "Besides, it's my turn to ask you a question."

Kaylie nodded and took a quick sip of her strawberry milkshake. "Ask away."

"Why did you guys invite me to a meeting of officials? I'm not just a low on the totem pole but I'm new to your pack. It's not very secure."

My question seemed to stump them all for a moment. Then Kaylie's eyes flickered towards Cole. So he had something to do with this. Interesting. I cleared my throat. "Never mind. You don't have to answer. Someone pick a new topic."

Jared was the first to speak. "Well, going back to the topic of mates. The new Alpha requested to come here again."

"New Alpha?" I asked, confusion pushing my brow down in the middle. "What new Alpha? And why would any Alpha bother you guys."

"It seems that the kid lost his mate," Cole answered. His tone suggested that he didn't think much of their newest nuisance. "He's been searching every pack he can to try to find her."

"He's been nagging us for a couple days," Kaylie said picking up where Cole left off. "He's convinced that she's here. I think we would know is an Alpha's mate was hiding out here."

I swallowed uncomfortably. "So you guys have been turning him away?"

Cole nodded. "I don't know how someone just loses his mate though. It's so irresponsible."

"It may have been her choice to leave," Jared retorted.

Kaylie raised a skeptical eyebrow. "Why would she choose to leave? Being an Alpha's mate is a pretty good deal. You get status, respect, and increased protection. I mean why would this girl run from that?"

"Maybe she freaked at becoming the Luna of her pack," Jared offered. "I mean when we met and you became Luna you were a little hesitant."

"Wait," I interrupted. "What do you mean? About her becoming Luna when you guys met?"

"Well when the future Alpha finds his mate power of the pack is transferred over to him," Kaylie said.

"Yeah," Cole chimed in. "It's about keeping the power with someone in their prime. Once a mate is found they become the Alpha pair. Though for the first couple of years the former Alpha pair is coaching them."

"So this girl is a Luna?" I repeated. "I thought that they had to, um...." I looked down too embarrassed to finish.

"Finish the mating process," Kaylie filled in with a smile at my expense. "You are so innocent, Violet. And no, technically the moment the mate bond is formed the power is shifted regardless of the mate bond's completion."