Chapter Sixteen

“So,” Mark said.

“This is going to be a very long drive if you insist on speaking to me,” I told him still looking out the window. “I have no interest in learning anything about you or sharing any information on myself so you’re best off just turning on the radio to which you will not sing to and remain silent the whole drive if the matter pertains to useless trivia or chitchat.”

He cleared his throat uncomfortably. “Okay then.” He turned on the radio to some pop station and for maybe an hour the car remained silent except for it. But Mark, as it seems, is not the type of person to remain silent for any extended period of time. “Why the Blue Thorn pack?” he asked.

“I am a Rogue. That is where Rogues go.” I didn’t offer anything else.

“Peter would­–­”

I cut him off. “Do not talk to me about Peter.”

“He’s you’re mate Luna Violet.”

Luna Violet. “I am not your, or anyone else’s Luna,” I whispered. “And what do you know of mates?” I didn’t want an answer and Mark didn’t supply one.

This is going to be an extremely long drive.

“We’re here.”

“I saw that,” I replied getting out and was immediately hit by Kaylie. “Hi Kaylie,” I gasped.

She pulled back to glare at Mark. “You! What the hell are you doing here? We only want Violet.”

“He’s my escort Kaylie,” I said. “He’s not staying.”

“Oh,” she said. “Good. You’re room is set up by the way. All your stuff is here.”

“Thanks Kaylie,” I said grabbing my backpack and suitcase. “Bye Mark.”

Mark looked at Kaylie and Jared. “Peter trusts them to keep you safe?”

It hurt so much to here his name. “My safety is no longer your concern to question. Go home Mark.” I went inside with Kaylie right behind me.

“He hurt you,” she said quietly. “Don’t say he didn’t because I can see it. He hurt you, badly.”

I leaned, more like fell, against the wall. “I think I’ve hurt him more.”

“I. Don’t. Care,” Kaylie told me. “You’re in pain Violet. Because of him.”

“I’m in pain because of myself.” I took a few deep breaths but ever since I walked out of the room it felt like my lungs couldn’t get enough air and I couldn’t get the weight off of my chest. I slid to the floor and hugged my knees. “I didn’t realize how painful this would be.”

Kaylie kneeled down next to my and put her arms around me. “I’m so sorry sweetie.”

I shook my head. “I can feel his pain Kaylie. It’s my fault he’s in pain. I can’t be with him but his pain’s more unbearable than I thought.”

Kaylie kissed my temple. “I won’t promise you anything because I don’t know. Talk to Cole, Violet, he knows about this. Maybe he can help.”

I turned my head to look at her. “Do I even deserve help?”

“I think you do,” a third voice answered. Cole. He stood at the other end of the hall. “That idiot let you go. Bastard.”

“He did it for me,” I whispered. “He doesn’t deserve blame here Cole. Had his mate been anyone then everything would be perfect.”