Chapter Seventeen

No one talked about what happened Christmas or about the ring I now wear on my finger. I guess everyone figured it’s another thing that was best left in the past. It still hurt to think of Peter. It also hurt to be around my friends here as well. It hurt because I could see how my own suffering hurt them. It’s a vicious cycle.

I stepped over a log and turned up the IPod. “You like that thing!”

I turned around and saw Cole. I pulled out my ear buds and nodded. “It seems for once Jared wasn’t a complete clueless idiot.”

Cole laughed. “Man, don’t tell him that. He’ll hold over our heads for the rest of our lives.”

I pursed my lips. “See now I just want to tell him.”

Cole got a look of mock horror. “No! You would inflict that upon us? I thought we were friends!”

I rolled my eyes. “What did you need Cole?”

He shrugged. “I just wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“I’m fine,” I replied. “I just wanted sometime to think. You should go home. Kaylie said you guys had a lot of work to do.”

“But it’s Sunday. I won’t be able hangout with you tomorrow,” he complained. “You have school!”

I raised an eyebrow, “I’m homeschooled.”

“Same difference,” he grumbled.

“Not really,” I murmured. “Real school has a lot more prying eyes and whispering mouths.”

“That it does,” Cole whispered walking closer to me. He tilted my face up to his and for a moment I saw Peter. Then the moment passed but his lips were too close to mine.

“Cole,” I said softly. “I can’t.”

He sighed and ran his thumb over my lips. “Why not? Violet you don’t have to spend you life alone. You can choose a new mate.”

I shook my head and stepped back. “I don’t want to chose a new mate Cole. I’m not with Peter because I can’t have a mate. Choosing a new one won’t change anything and it won’t happen. I’m sorry Cole.”

He nodded and tried to smile but it looked more like a grimace. “I guess I’m not that surprised. If you change your mind you know where I’ll be.”

He left before I could reply. I ran my hand through my hair somewhat violently. Is it just my thing to attract the best guys and end up hurting them? I need to talk to Cynthia but I don’t want to go back to the house just yet and run into Cole. I played with the ring on my finger. “Peter,” I sighed. “I wish you were here.”

“Well sweetie it’s a shame he’s not.”

I didn’t have to turn around to know who this was. “He said you had escaped.  I’m not surprised you found me.”

“Smart girl but you allowed yourself to be caught alone,” Dave said.

“I’m not scared of you Dave,” I replied.

“My name is Dorian.”

I turned to face him with a raised eyebrow. “Seriously? You look like a Dave.”

He growled and lunged at me. I ducked and rolled back. I popped up shivering slightly from the snow. His eyes turned pitch back. “You stupid girl.”

“I’m not scared of you,” I replied. “Trust me you aren’t the worst thing I’ve survived.”

He threw a hit at me and I blocked it and shoved my knee into his stomach then spun twisting his arm. Dorian broke free and shoved me into a tree. “I’m not alone you stupid girl.”

“Get a new insult,” I huffed using the tree to help me jump over him but he’d predicted the move and threw me to the ground.

I saw stars for a moment then he heaved me up as another blurry wolf joined him. “You didn’t honestly think I came alone did you?”

I closed my eyes and concentrated on the pack link but before I could call out I felt a sharp stab in my neck and my eyes shot open in pain. “Wolf’sbane!” I gasped falling forward.

Dorian started dragging me. “We can’t have you calling for help again can we? I’ve lost you once but no you have two packs that would do anything to get you back. Foolish girl. The Nightshade pack is feat.” He leaned so his mouth was at my ear. “But the Blue Thorn pack. Now this is going to be quite the feat. I’m going to bring the Blue Thorn pack down and it’s all thanks to you.”

I felt darkness pressing down on me. “Bastard,” I murmured before the darkness swallowed me.

I woke with a pounding headache and I was tied up. I blinked and looked around. It’s dark, too dark to see, which means I’m either underground or in a windowless room. I bent over so I could feel the ground. Cold. I scratched at it and it crumbled beneath my fingers. Dirt. Underground it is. I don’t like being underground. It’s too dark. I twisted my hands to see the ropes strength.

Strong and thick. I huffed and bent forward to get the rope around my ankles. I gritted my teeth as I worked at the knot but all I did was get my fingers raw and slightly bloody. I slumped against the wall at my back.

“Done trying to escape?” Dorian’s voice called through the dark.

“What exactly do you plan to do with me?” I asked.

He laughed darkly and I heard retreated footsteps then a blinding light and darkness. I sighed and closed my eyes. I can still feel the Wolf’sbane in my blood. It stings life a fire burning in your veins blocking any connections you have, blocking you from your wolf. “It’s a shame really,” I whispered to myself. “I wasn’t really that connected to my wolf anyways.” But my wolf was the only sure way to connect to Peter.

It was hard enough forcing my mind to stick to the present but without my connection to Peter…

I shook my head. “Think Violet. How many times have you done this with Gordon?”

Break free. I maneuvered the rope around my wrists so I had maybe an inch of space between them. Good. I’ve done this with less. I’m not a helpless little girl anymore so it’s time I stop acting like it. I know they wouldn’t leave me anything breakable but I don’t need anything breakable.  I just need a corner and time. I crawled making sure to keep contact with the wall. From what I could figure the room was circular. Well almost. Those footsteps were on stairs. I grinned when I felt the wall turn into a sharp corner. I got to work by rubbing the rope against the wall using the inch between my wrists so I didn’t cut my wrist up.

The problem is that it’s a long process and I don’t believe I have a long time. I don’t know how much time was passing but I could feel the burn of the Wolf’sbane was fading. Dorian or whomever he’s working with will be down soon to inject me again. I haven’t made enough progress with the ropes and I won’t have enough by the time they come down.

I flinched back as light flooded into the room and after a minute my eyes adjusted to see a circular prison. “Trying to break the ropes I see,” Dorian said. “Maybe there is a brain in that pretty little head of yours.” That felt condescending. “Though it’s a crude method and what for when you were free of the ropes.”

“Why tie me up if escape is already hopeless?” I asked.

“Because you have been a very irritating thorn in my side,” Dorian growled. “But your little boyfriend won’t come running in to save you brat.”

I laughed bitterly and I saw the confused irritation on his face. “I never expected him to come running in to save me. You caught a she-wolf idiot not a princess.”

“And what can a pathetic she-wolf like you do?” Dorian spat.

I glared up at him. “You have no idea who I am.” No one does. Peter only sees me as fragile but he never knew what I went through the night my parents died. He never knew how I survived till Alpha George came. I closed my eyes and for the second time in my life I let the darkness take over.