First Night

It was strange to be home. It was physically familiar but still somehow different. I thought that by bringing Violet back everything would go back to normal. Now I'm wondering what exactly normal was. I've spent so long looking for Violet but I don't think I ever really thought about what would happen once I found her. I also didn't anticipate how I would feel. I knew Violet better than I knew anyone else and, for the first time in my life, I didn't trust her.

It was strange even to think it but it was true. I would trust Violet with my life but I wasn't sure I trusted her with something far more precious to me. I didn't trust her not to break my heart, to not leave me, and most importantly in light of recent events, I didn't trust her with her life. Violet was never the type to ask for help. She didn't know the difference between independence and self-destructive or suicidal.

I shook the thoughts from my head and stepped out of the shower I decided to take when Violet kicked me out of her room. I dried off and pulled on some boxers and sweatpants. I wanted to check on Violet before I went to sleep. I know what she said about still being here and I know Violet keeps her promises but I won't be able to sleep until I can know, until I see her.

I step back into my room from the shower and find that I don't have to go far to check on Violet. She was curled up on my bed fast asleep. I couldn't help but smile. Sleep always softened Violets features and made her look so innocent she might be mistaken for an angel.

I crawled into bed slowly as to not jostle her then carefully pulled her onto my chest and dragged the covers over us.

"Sleep tight, Violet," I whispered to the top of her head before going to sleep myself.

§§§

I woke up the next morning to Violet squirming against my chest.

"Stop moving," I mumbled, pulling her tighter against me.

"Stop sleeping," she replied, her voice lit by amusement. She pushed again my chest. "We have to go to school Peter."

"We'll skip it," I said, opening my eyes to see Violet smiling down at me.

She shook her head, the ends of her messy curls tickling my chest. "You're a bad influence, Peter."

I rolled over and trapped her between my arms. "Please?" I begged, hoping to convince her.

"Nope," she replied. "Not going to work. Get up."

I sighed and rolled out of bed.