Chapter Nineteen

“I’m so sorry Violet,” Peter murmured in my ear. “God, Violet, I’m so sorry.” I sniffed and burrowed deeper into his chest and his arms tightened impossibly on me. “I won’t let anyone hurt you and I’d rather die before harming you.”

I whined in the back of my throat and pulled back to look up at him. I touched his cheek softly and shook my head. “Peter…” So far it’s been the only thing I could say. I felt like that little girl hiding in the dark. “Peter.”

“Mine,” he murmured in response. I knew he had to reassure himself. I knew if he found out how my own father tried to mark me as his mate after killing my mother he’d be more possessive than any normal teenage Alpha. The thought that someone tried to take what’s his…

Because there is no denying it anymore, I belong to him. It terrifies me the same way the concept of having a mate after he ruined it terrifies me. But I’m not stupid enough or so lost in the darkness to think that I don’t need Peter. He’s the only person I’ve ever told, the only person I’ve ever shown what truly happened the night my parents died. Not even Peter’s parents know exactly how everything went down.

But Cynthia was right. I had to tell someone and it had to be Peter. “I want to go home,” I whispered.

“Okay,” he said pulling me up but neither of us let go of the other. “I hope you mean the Nightshade pack Violet because I’m not letting you go somewhere I’m not.”

I nodded and put my head on his chest. “I want to go home Peter.” My hands fisted in his shirt. “I want my hoodie back.”

His chest vibrated slightly. “Okay baby.” He swept me up and I curled into his body not realizing how much the cold made me shiver under I had his body heat.

I closed my eyes and pressed my face into is his neck. The pain in my chest was just as powerful as when it first happened. It’s been almost eight years of pushing it all down and now it was as fresh in my mind as if it had just happened. Alpha George said that my parents had been fighting. They found my mom’s bags packed. She was going to leave and my dad lost his mind.

I told Peter once that love fades especially between mates. Now he knows what I meant.

“Alpha is she okay?” I heard Mark’s voice ask. “Was she hurt?”

Peter didn’t answer or if he did it was through his pack link. I wish I knew what that answer was because I honestly don’t know. Peter continued to walk and eventually he stopped and bent to open a car door and he tried to sit me down in the passenger seat but I couldn’t make myself let go off him.

“Hey,” he whispered softly pulling my head back so he could look in my eyes. “I’m not going anywhere Violet.” He moved and covered my hands slowly taking his shirt from them.

“Alpha!” Mark ran to the car and I flinched back further into the car.

Pain flashed across Peter’s face as Mark handed him a dark green bundle. Peter nodded and turned back to me. “Here,” he said softly and pulled my hoodie over my head and I pushed my hands through the sleeves then hugged my knees to my chest. I can still fill the darkness and it felt cold and lonely.

Peter closed the door and got in on the drivers side. He started the car and looked over at me. “Do you want to talk to Kaylie or anyone?” he asked.

I shook my head and whispered, “Home.”

He nodded. “Home.”

Peter

It’s taking everything I have not to mark Violet, to prove that she belongs to me. After all these years I finally know what happened that night and every instinct told me to protect Violet even if it’s from something as permanent and elusive as the past.