Chapter Eighteen

Peter

I felt cold sweep over my mind and it was dark. Complete dark. It took me a moment to realize that it was coming from the mate bond. “Violet,” I growled. Whatever they did to her it’s causing this. “I’m coming baby.”

Kaylie and Jared told me the second she was taken. The idiots took her hoodie. I broke through the door growling. It’s a run down cabin in the woods. I saw Violet’s hoodie on the table. Where the hell is my mate.

“You kidnapped the wrong person.”

Violet! But it didn’t sound like my Violet. I ran through the place until I found her with her claws in the neck of the mutt who kidnapped her. “Violet,” I whispered.

She growled. Her eyes were completely black but not like when my eyes went black. Her eyes were dark and held no light. She looked ruthless. She dropped the mutt to the ground and his body twitched. He’s alive. Violet turned to look at me but her face didn’t hold the same recognition. Blood dripped from her hands and her claws snapped back in.

“Violet,” I said again but louder and took a step forward. She growled and fell back into a defensive crouch.

“Stay back,” she snarled. “Stay away from me!”

I held my hands up. “Violet, I’m not going to hurt you. I love you.”

The words set something off in her and anger filled her features. “He said the same thing! Stay the hell away from me or I’ll kill you. Stay back! You killed her!”

“Killed who Violet?” I asked confused. What’s she talking about? “Violet let me–”

“No!” she hissed. “You-you killed her! Stay away! I won’t let you!”

“Violet,” I said in a soothing tone. “I won’t hurt you. I’m your mate Violet.”

She screamed and flinched back. “No! No! No!” Tears rolled down her face but I don’t think she realized it. “No you aren’t! No!” I don’t want–” I lunged forward and grabbed her wrist. The sparks seem to snap her out of it and the darkness fell back to her irises. “Peter,” she gasped.

“Violet what was that? Kill who?” I asked.

She shook her head and bolted. Not this time. “Kill him,” I growled at the wolves I’d brought before taking off after my mate.

Violet

I ran and tried to push back the darkness but I couldn’t. It was gaining control again. Oh God. What if I had just killed a man? Even if he kidnapped me what if I had killed him?

“Violet!”

I can’t be around him. It was hard enough when I had control over the darkness but it’s loose now. I can’t face him. I pushed myself but stumbled when the scene changed. I shook my head and the forest was back. I grabbed hold of a tree and dug my claws into it. This is real! “Run! Run baby!”

I threw my head back and screamed again. “Mommy!”

“No! Why? God why?”

I felt spark erupt through me and saw Peter holding me against the tree. “Violet,” he murmured.

I sobbed and shook my head. “Let me go Peter.”

He shook his head and lowered his head so it was against my neck. “Not this time Violet. I need to know what happened that night.”

“No you don’t,” I said. “Just let me go Peter.”

"You can't run from me for forever Violet," Peter whispered against my neck.