Hindsight

I don't recall a happier moment for me. All I could think about was Violet and how relieved I was that we were mate. I honestly didn't know what I would do it she'd been mated to someone else. I shied away from the very thought.

After her parents died and she moved in with us she closed herself off from everyone but me. Mostly because I refused to let her shut me out. I couldn't. I was in love with Violet, had been for years. And for all those years I felt special because I was her best friend and the only one she was ever comfortable talking to.

The look on Violet's face wasn't what I had been expected though. I figured she probably thought about the possibility of us being mates, after all I'd been thinking of nothing else since I turned sixteen. But from her expression I don't think it ever even occurred to Violet that we would be mates.

Then, almost as if she'd timed it, my mother had called me to do the dishes of all things. I felt a sharp flash of annoyance but left after Violet's urging. She would be there when I returned.

Only she wasn't. When I got back to her room about forty minutes later and opened the door she wasn't they. Her bed was a mess with junk piled out in and her window was open allowing the cold night air to sweep into the room. I immediately went on the alert.

"Violet," I hissed angrily. If anyone hurts her... The thought trailed off when I noticed the dark green hoodie hanging on the back of her desk chair.

I picked it up gingerly. I'd given the hoodie to her a couple years ago on her thirteenth birthday. She'd given me a hefty bruise for it but it was worth it when she wore it everywhere she went. I brought it up to my face and inhaled its scent. It smelled so strongly of Violet it was almost like she was standing here next to me. Violet would never leave this behind... not on purposed that is.

But Violet wouldn't just leave, would she? Looking around her room I noticed her backpack was gone, a couple drawers sat ajar and the closet was wide open. She wouldn't. I know her and Violet wouldn't just leave.

I felt doubt gnaw on my conviction. I remembered how she hadn't talked for months after her parents died. Violet was never close with anyone outside our family and... She looked so shock and I was so elated I never thought to look deeper than that.

I was so lost in thought that when I heard Violet's voice I immediately searched the room for her. Then I realized her voice was inside my head. "I wish I could be the person you deserve as your mate but this is the best that I can give you. I hope one day you can understand but until then know that I am so, so sorry."

"Violet!" I called back through our mental bond. "Where are you?" Silence answered me. "Violet!"

My hands curled into fists around the fabric of her hoodie. My father. He would just let her go. I stormed downstairs just in time to come face-to-face with my father as he came in. "Where is Violet?" I demanded harshly. My mother gasped at my tone but I kept my eyes on my father. "Where is she?"

"She left," he answered sadly.

"You let her leave?" I asked seeing red.

He put his hand on my shoulder but I shook it off. "Son, I know that she is your friend but‒"

"She's my mate!" I cut him off angrily. "And I am going to find her and bring her home." I grabbed my keys from the bowl by the door on my way out. "Do you hear that, Violet?" I said through the bond. "I'm coming after you. You can ran to the other side of the world but I will still find you!"

Violet had always been quiet and I didn't expect her to answer so I was surprise when I heard her soft reply. "I really wish you wouldn't try, Peter."

Though she didn't say it I knew the words she was thinking. But wishes don't come true. I always thought her opinion about wishes was sad but in this case she was very much right. There was no way I was just going to let her go.

agCr