Comfort Castiel x reader (pt 1)

Requested/oneshot trade by/with thatsilentdreamer

Warnings: Death, nightmares?

You heard their screams pierce through the night. It was terrifying, especially for an fifteen year old.

"Mom?" You yelled. You hopped off your bed and slowly padded to your door. You had your hand on the knob, before you heard gunshots. You started to breath heavily and stumbled away from the door. It took you a few seconds to gain your balance again, but when you did you ran to your closet. You slowly opened it and hurried in before closing it quietly behind you.

A few seconds later you heard footsteps walk up the stairs. They came closer and you watched through the slits in the closet door as they walked in.

"Hello?" The man whispered. "I know you're here. I'm here to help." You stayed there nonetheless. The beam of his flashlight shown across the door and your heartbeat sped up.

"My names Sam, I just want to help." He says, as he slowly walks towards your closet. You moved behind the hanging clothes, even though you knew that you wouldn't be hidden.

You heard your closet door open. "Hey, it's okay." He said as he pushed the clothes aside. "Come here, it's okay." You looked at his face. It was sincere. He stuck his hand out for you and you hesitantly took it.

"See, it's okay." He slowly started walking backwards, out of the closet and then your room. He started to move down the stairs but you looked over to your moms room. Blood stained the carpet. You gasped and tears ran down your face.

Your eyes traveled to your younger sisters room. Blood stained the carpet there too.

"No." You whispered. "No, please, no." You said. The man looked at you with sad eyes as tears ran down your face.

"NO!" You screamed.

"NO!" You sat up quickly in your bed.

"Hey, hey, shh." You heard someone say. You looked over and saw Cas sitting there. 

"Cas?" You asked.

"It's okay Y/n, it's okay." He said as he hugged you. That night happened ten years ago, and you still had nightmares about it. It was horrible. All the family that you had left had slipped through your fingers. Your dad had disappeared when you were fifteen, leaving you with your mom and 4 year old sister.

His last words to you were 'Protect your mom and sister.' You had been taught to hunt since you were a little kid. If only you hadn't fallen asleep that one night, they might still be alive.

The Winchesters took you in after they found out that your dad was a famous hunter, even more famous than they are.

"I was supposed to keep them safe." You whispered.

"It was not your job to protect them. You were only fifteen. How were you to know what was to happen anyways?" Cas asked you.

tears ran down your face and you clung to Cas like a lifeline. "Please don't cry Y/n, I hate seeing you cry." Cas said, pulling away and holding you by the shoulders. You sniffled and rubbed your tears away.

Cas kissed your forehead. "Thanks Cas." You said as you smiled.

"Would you like to try and sleep again, or do you want to stay up and talk."

"Can we stay up and talk?" You asked.

"Of course." He responded. 

And that's how you ended up stay up all night with Cas, talking about anything and everything.