Chapter 15

ABBY

I can't believe I wrote that to Luke. I can't believe I basically told him I'm all alone. I hope he isn't as smart as he seems to be. I hope he doesn't overanalyze things. I don't use to overanalyze things. I may like math, but I hate analyzing. In school, whenever we had to do an analysis, I'd search for one online because I was too lazy to think. Or too lazy to have an opinion of something. The teachers never noticed. And I've never analyzed or tried to analyze anything since I graduated.

That was until his next letter.

Dear Abby,

Lines.

All I see is lines; lines on the paper, lines in this room.

You are my line, Abby. I hope I can be yours, too.

Love,

Luke.

My eyebrows are furrowed in confusion, because no matter how much I try and try to analyze it, I can't. I just can't. Mostly because I can't in general, but because these words, these words are too beautiful to analyze. So I write him a reply right away and run down the street to the nearest mail box and post it just a couple of minutes later, not caring if I am already late for work.

Dear Luke,

When did you become so poetic? And what do you mean with 'you're my line'?

I wish I was as smart as you, Luke, but I am not.

I've also realized our letters have become shorter and shorter over time and I just wonder what's going on. Are you alright? Has something happened? I'm worried. So please, I beg of you, Luke, please just tell me what is going on. I am curious and I don't know for how long I can live through this, knowing there's something huge you're hiding from me. Maybe I can help you. I promise not to go anywhere.

Love,

Abby.

I am worried and I have been ever since I got that very first letter from him. Do you ever read a text or message and just by looking at the words, you realize that this person isn't telling you the full story? That this person has a secret? Because that is exactly how I feel when I read Luke's letters. I wonder what he thinks of my letters. I wonder if he re-reads them the same way I do.

I wonder a lot, and I hope that he one day will give me some answers because I'm tired of trying to figure this out. I wish he would just tell me straight how it is. How he feels and what's going through his mind. And if he does, I will too.

LUKE

I ignore everyone around me, as usual, and just focus on what needs to be done. I focus on putting the right books on the right shelves. I focus on lifting the weights in the gym and I focus on eating my food, slowly but still fast so no one steals it. I try to shut out Ashton's words and I try to ignore the concerned look on his face. I barely acknowledge the chocolate chip cookies his mom sends him. Barely.

It was risky sending that letter about lines. I knew it was, yet I did it. Why? Because of Mrs. Wilson and because of Ashton who continued to nag me about how I should tell Abby where I am. And because it felt right. At the time. The reply came two days later and now I'm trying to figure out what the hell I should write back to her. There is no doubt I will tell her where I am, but can I tell her why I am where I am? That is the question and I'm nervous. And is this the right time to do so?

I'm really nervous over this. What if she stops writing? What if she starts looking down on me? Starts blaming me? Starts hating me?

I can't have her hating on me. Not her, too.

So I take the next couple of days to myself and do all the chores I am required to do. I think about the letter I still have not started. I even dream about the letter. So many words fill my head but so few of them wants to be transmitted onto the damn lined paper I carry with me at all time, wherever I go.

Maybe I could just stop writing her? Maybe I could just tell Jack to stop sending me her letters. In that way everything would just work out fine and my troubles wouldn't be as high as they are now.

-

It's 2.30 in the morning and I can't sleep. Also this is the first time I update from my phone, let's see how that works out...
This chapter was reeeeeeeeeeeeeally short. Oops.

Do you think Luke will tell her everything?

I would just like to remind you that this is FICTION. Things in this story are not true, they're all made up so therefore anything can happen, even unrealistic ones. (<--have this in thought for the rest of the book)

Gonna try to get some sleep now. Hope to wake up to lots of votes and comments ;)