Chapter 30

ABBY

Luke and I continued to meet over the next following weeks and I felt myself starting liking him more and more. He hadn’t kissed me since that time before Christmas. He had hugged me though. And once he held me really tight until one of the guards had to separate us. It hurt, both physically and emotionally.

When it was Calum’s birthday I promised him he could meet Luke, although I still haven’t told him where Luke is. He started nagging about it, told me I spent more time talking about Luke than talking with him. I guess I’d be tired too if he had talked about Rebecca all the time instead of hanging out with me. Though there won’t be much talking about her anymore.

She broke up with him.

It wasn’t that big of a mess. Cal was sad, Rebecca was sad, which she shouldn’t since she was the one breaking up because she had found someone else and that the feelings between her and Calum weren’t the same as they were before. But just a few days after, Calum confessed to me that he never really loved her. I wasn’t sure if he said that because he was heartbroken or if he really meant it. Now I understand that he really meant it. 

I mean, I’ve looked back on their relationship and they didn’t really try that hard. They acted more like friends. But I could still tell Calum had a huge crush on her during the time. Rebecca and I haven’t talked since she announced what she did and truth is, I probably won’t talk to her again, at least not anytime soon. She broke my best friend’s heart, or at least cracked it a little, and we haven’t really acted like friends for the past year or so.

It didn’t hurt though. I got over it pretty fast.

Not only did I promise Calum to meet Luke, dad had suddenly taking a very interest in Luke as well and demanded I should invite him for dinner. I lied to him and told him Luke didn’t like people, which only made dad laugh. I tried asking Jack for help but he told me I should talk to Luke about it.

So that’s what I did.

“My dad wants to meet you.”

Luke chokes, starts coughing, a surprised look plastered on his face.

“He wants to what?”

“He wants to meet you but I don’t know what to do! I’ve tried telling him you have social anxiety or that you’re visiting your grandparents, but he’s not buying it anymore,” I sigh, rubbing my temples.

“Hey, hey, it’s okay. Just…can you please continue lying for me just a little bit longer?”

I look up at Luke again. The surprise in her face has changed into a pleading look. His eyes are big, like puppy eyes, and he’s pouting.

“Yeah, it’s not like I’m gonna tell him the truth. He’d forbid me to see you,” I scoff, but secretly melt as Luke reaches out to grab my hand, intertwining our fingers. I look around but none of the guards seem to notice so I keep my fingers where they are. It feels good. It feels very good.

Luke gives me a small smile and if you take away the guards, the prisoners and the doors made of bars, it’d look like we’d be on a date. Just replace everything with an Italian theme and I’d be good. 

“Also, is it…uhm,” I bite my bottom lip, “is it okay if Calum comes with me sometime? He’d really like to meet you.”

I carefully look at Luke who doesn’t look scared or surprised at all. In fact, he’s still smiling.

“Sure, I’d love to have you and Calum here together to visit me.”

“Really?” I ask, returning the smile.

“Of course, he’s your best friend. Just remember to tell him easily. We don’t want him to forbid you from seeing me,” he chuckles.

“Calum would never do that.”

At least I don’t think so. I hope he doesn’t. He’d understand. If he really is my best friend he would support me and not talk me out of something I’ve been doing for two months now.

I never get bored talking to Luke. It’s impossible. If I could, I would stay longer but Jack and I made a deal for this year; I get the first hour, he gets the rest. Although, I usually take another extra 15 minutes or so. Jack just rolls his eyes every time I come out later than scheduled but I just give him an innocent smile, pretending I did nothing wrong. 

During the ride home, that fake innocent smile turns into a real one. There’s still a little innocence in it as I get home to meet my dad. He’s used to my regular meetings with Luke on Tuesdays so he doesn’t ask me why I always have a smile on my face when I get home that day. 

“Dad, I’m home!” I call out but is met with silence. 

I shrug, figuring he’s cooking considering the smell of garlic bread. After taking off my shoes and hanging up my jacket, I walk into the kitchen but there’s no one there. There’s food on the table but there’s no dad.

“Dad?” I try again.

I hear a mumble coming from the living room so that’s where I’m heading. Dad’s on the phone, a frown on his face. He hangs up and stands there for a second before turning around to me. His eyebrows are furrowed, his cheeks suddenly looking paler than usual.

“I just got a very interesting phone call.”

I stare at him, not sure what he means.

“Abigail Samantha Carson, why did prison just call me and tell me they have your phone?”

-

oh c r a p.

What do you think will happen next?

(oh and I just wanted Rebecca out of the story because there are too many characters for me to keep track on and well...she wasn't very interesting.)

Happy New Year everyone :) hope 2015 will be good to you. x