Chapter 32

[yes new cover.]

ABBY

I don't leave the house for the rest of the week. I call in sick at work at Martha's and I don't even walk near dad's office. He's still mad, still angry, I can tell. He gives me the silent treatment. Just a knock on the door letting me know when dinner is ready and then more silence. When I make my way down to the kitchen, he's not even there. I always eat alone.

I'm afraid to speak up because I know that if I open my mouth, curses and yelling will come out. And if he opens it, the same thing will probably happen. He scoffs at me sometimes though, that's the only sound I've heard. I don't even know why he treats me this way. I'm his daughter. He should at least talk to me about this. Give me a lecture or something. And I should talk to him because he's my father. But I know he won't listen.

At least he went and picked up my phone but I haven't gotten it back yet.

He took my laptop away from me too so I have no way to communicate with anyone. I could use the home telephone but since it's cordless, and he has one at the office, he will notice if I use it and can easily listen to my phone calls. Besides, I'm not good at remembering phone numbers and I don't even know if we have a phone book.

Lying here in bed has made me realize that he's actually taken away everything that means something to me. He's blocked my communication with the few friends I've got. He's taken away the games I use to play on my phone or laptop. All the music I use to listen to and everything else that is stored on there. I tried playing a CD on my stereo but for some reason it wouldn't work. Just my luck.

I sigh and stand up, feeling a little dizzy. Being grounded according to my dad means not going outside unless it's for work or school, but after these couple of days I've started feeling trapped and I had to get out. I had to get some fresh air and not just stare at the snow from my window. I wanted to touch it. It had started melting and it was barely anything left. Maybe that could be my excuse?

I start making my way down the stairs, one step at a time. I consider myself being quiet but then I reach the fifth step and it makes a noise. I hear dad moving around in the living room and then he appears in the door way. I think he's going to say something, but instead he just walks past me into the kitchen. I take a deep breath, mentally preparing myself.

"H-Hey dad?"

Those are the first two words that has been said in this house for a long time and dad turns around. I must say I am a little surprised myself to hear my own voice. His face is still stern but it has begun to soften.

"I-I know I'm grounded b-but the snow is melting and I just want to go outside before it's all g-gone."

He keeps staring at me and I regret even saying anything at all.

"Be back before dinner," is all he says before turning around and disappearing into the next room.

I gape at him. Maybe he really is beginning to loosen up.

I find myself at Starbucks a couple of blocks away. I've never really liked Starbucks but they have coffee and it's hot, and I found an empty seat so I stayed. I'm the only one who doesn't have either a phone in my hands or a laptop on the table. That's another reason I like Starbucks: their free Wifi.

What do you do when you have three hours to kill, with no one to call or talk to? You stay right where you are and stare at people. Or as I like to call it, observe people. There are all kinds of people here but mostly people in their mid-20s all holding their same cups with names scribbled over them. My name has been spelt in all different ways; Abby, Abbie, Aby, Abi...Once, they even wrote Anton. Do I look like a guy?