Chapter 29

LUKE

"Did you do anything to Abby last time she was here?"

Christmas is over and everything is back to normal. No more jingle bells, no more plastic trees, no more pretending to be friends with everyone.

"Nah, why?" I shrug at Calum. He's wearing a black hoodie and even thought the heater is up, I'd kill to get that hoodie (no pun attended).

"She was really happy after she got back from meeting you so I guessed something must have happened but if you-"

"I kissed her," I cut him off.

"You did what!?" Calum exclaims, eyes wide open, hands slammed on the table. A guard gives us a glare, making sure it's alright between the two of us before heading back to whatever he was doing.

"I kissed her cheek," I reply.

"You kissed her cheek? Luke!" He cries again.

"What? Am I not allowed to do that?" I ask, suddenly feeling a little bit frightened. Did I do something wrong?

"No, no of course you can! But Jesus, I can't believe you did that! That explains why she was all so bubbly. Oh man, imagine if you actually kissed her on...I wonder what would happen," he laughs.

"Then why were you practically yelling at me just seconds ago?" I ask, still confused.

"Because bro," he says leaning forward a little. Hands still on the table, his eyes focused on mine. "She likes you and if you kissed her cheek, she's going to think you like her too. If you don't like her, then stop this, right here right now. She's like a little sister to me so if you hurt her, I'll hurt you, comprende?"

I nod, not really thinking of anything other than she likes you. I've been told before but hearing it from Calum, who's her closest friend, means a lot. Hell, I like her too. I might even lo- no that's too soon, right?

He continues telling me how they spent Christmas together and what gifts both of them got. I know Abby's going to tell me next time we meet but I will just pretend it's the first time I heard it.

"By the way, did you look into Ryan Mill?"

"Yes. Apparently he's imprisoned after beating up two minors. Turns out one of them was Mr. Conway's nephew."

Last time Calum was here I asked if he could find out what brought Ryan here and if he had any connections with Mr. Conway, considering the way he interrogated me when we got in a fight. And Calum's explanation explains why Ryan is brought in during the tiniest bad words or fights. Not sure if personal business should be handled here but if you're the head, I guess you can do whatever you like.

"Who is Ryan anyway? Is he here?" Calum asks and looks around the room.

"Nah, he's on a different floor, thank God."

"I'm sorry," Calum suddenly blurts out.

"For what?" I frown, muddled over the sudden apology.

"For not visiting you for the past two years. For not being your fri-"

"You've already apologized for that, no need to say it again. And besides, I'm over it." I think. "At least you're here now and that is all that matters. Better late than never, huh? But I kind of wish I knew what happened to Mike. You know we used to be best friends?"

Calum nods, probably having a flashback of some old memories of us hanging out. I'd really like to know what happened to Michael. Jack knew we were friends and I asked if he knew about him but he didn't. Nevertheless he thought he had seen him once but he wasn't sure since the hair color looked natural.

"I can try to search for him if you want?" Calum suggests.

"You've already done so much, you don't have to. Unless you want to," I shrug but cross my fingers he'll say yes.

"Not a problem. I'll see what I can do," he smiles.

"While you're here...do you think maybe it's time to tell Abby about us?"

"Now you're the one making us sound like a gay couple," Calum smirks. "But why do you wanna tell her? I thought you didn't want her to know."

"I just..."

I feel guilty. I don't want to lie to her. I'm scared it will be like when she stopped writing to me only this time she'll stop meeting me.

"Can we wait a little? Just until the first part of the plan is done? I talked to my dad, by the way, and he's looking into your file as we speak. You'll probably hear from him within a week or two, if he decides to take the case."

It feels good to hear that. Sure he hasn't agreed on taking over from my old lawyer, Mr. Johnson who I haven't seen since my trial, but I have a good feeling about it.

Also, if the first part of Calum's plan is finished then it will be easier to explain to Abby. And I would know what to say. We also agree that Calum would try to make her tell him where I am. Then she would bring him with her when visiting me and I'd tell her. Well, we'd tell her together.

Only I wasn't the one who told her in the end. Somebody else did.

-

DUN DUN DUUUUN.

I don't know about you, but I love that last sentence. Vote if you do to. (hahahahahah sorry but that sounded like a tweet or FB post "like if you care, ignore if you don't" / RT if you like XX, FAV if you like YY...)

Short chapter again but be prepared...there will be some drama coming up soon!! What do YOU think will happen? Comment! :)

This is probably the last update of the year (sorry I had to). x