Chapter 33

LUKE

“I need you to-”

“Abby’s not answering her phone, Lu-”

“I know, I know, she’s grounded an-”

“Grounded!? And how-”

“She sent me a letter. I-”

“A letter? Are you back to-”

“Stop interrupting me, Jack!” I groan.

“Hey, you’re interrupting me too,” he pouts.

“Yeah, but you started it!” 

We both sound and look like two five year olds fighting, both of us having our arms folded over our chests, glaring at each other.

“Can I talk now?” I ask after a moment of silence. He shrugs a little, still pouting. “I need you to deliver a letter to her. You can’t post it in the mailbox. You need to deliver it personally. Watch out for her dad though. The adress is on the envelope. Do you think you can find it?”

I push the envelope across the table and Jack takes it, putting it in the inner pocket of his jacket.

“I know the area.”

“You didn’t even look at the adress? How can you know?” I frown.

“Because her friend Calum lives right across the street from her. Remember you told me I should meet him? Well, he’s…weird. Got the walls covered in paintings,” Jack shivers. He hates art, never really understood it. I’ve never understood art either, to be honest. When I look at a painting or a sculpture, I feel nothing. It’s just a painting to me. And I can’t understand how some people spend thousands of dollars just for a picture with a frame around it.

Ever since Calum talked to his dad, who agreed on taking my case, I’ve had meetings with David Hood, aka. Calum’s dad, once a week. Calum had basically stopped visiting me during visiting hours after Jack had spoken to him and explained how we should be more careful since Abby would be here every Tuesday. Instead, Cal and I mostly spoke in the phone center. 

Jack and I continue with small banter for the next 2 hours until we’re the only ones left. It feels really weird since usually the old man with his teenage son in the corner or Will Evans are the last ones left. They are few of those who have the hardest to let go of their families. It’s often I hear sobs coming from their direction. 

I sigh before standing up, returning to my cell, my head hanging low. Not exactly how I expected this day to go. I thought I’d get to hear Abby’s voice, see her face and touch her hand. I thought I’d hear her tell a funny story or one of those really bad jokes she wrote to me a few times. They were so lame they were funny.

I had also wanted to take a step further today.

ABBY 

I don’t know if asking about going out to see the snow helped the tension between dad and I, but ever since then, we’ve been making progress. We haven’t exactly talked about what happened since Luke’s name is still like a curse that cannot be spoken out loud. Kind of like you-know-who in Harry Potter.

But we’ve made small talk and I’ve even gotten back to working at Martha’s, much to his relief. He was the one telling me to go back. I didn’t even ask why ‘cause I knew it was a way for him to keep track of me. He’d call the store every day just to see I’m there. But I don’t mind, I’m glad to be back. At least I’ve got something to do.