The Explanation

It took a few seconds for the absurdity of this statement to sink in.

"You're both mental. "

"Ridiculous!" said Hermione faintly.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at Sirius, whose face twitched convulsively.

"I meant to," he growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me. . . not this time, though!"

"Don't Sirius, " Brook whispered.

"Sirius, NO!" Asura yelled, launching herself forwards and dragging Sirius away from Ron, "WAIT! You can't do it just like that -- they need to understand -- we've got to explain --"

"We can explain afterwards!" snarled Sirius, trying to throw Asura off. 

"Sirius, do you trust me?"

"Of course i do, that's a stupid question."

"Then believe me when i say that we have to keep the rat alive. The children also have a right to an explanation."

Sirius stopped struggling, though his hollowed eyes were still fixed on Scabbers, who was clamped tightly under Ron's bitten, scratched, and bleeding hands.

"All right, then," Sirius said, without taking his eyes off the rat.

"Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Asura."

"You're nutters, the three of you," said Ron shakily, looking round at Harry and Hermione for support. "I've had enough of this. I'm off. "

He tried to heave himself up on his good leg, but Asura raised his wand again, pointing it at Scabbers.

"You're going to hear me out, Ron," she said quietly. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen. "

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled, trying to force the rat back into his front pocket, but Scabbers was fighting too hard; Ron swayed and overbalanced, and Harry caught him and pushed him back down to the floor. Then, ignoring Sirius, Harry turned to Brook.

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," he said. "A whole street full of them. . . "

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Sirius savagely, still watching Scabbers struggling in Ron's hands.

"I swear to God I'll put a silencing charm on you if you don't shut up."

"Yeah, she'll leave you floating over an active volcano, " said Harry unexpectedly.

"Right next to Vernon."

The two giggled at each other, despite the situation.

"Harry you know the map never lies, i know you saw it yourself. He's alive Harry, Ron's holding him."

Then Hermione spoke, in a trembling, would-be calm sort of voice, as though trying to will Asura to talk sensibly.

"But Asura. . . Scabbers can't be Pettigrew. . . it just can't be true, you know it can't. . . "

"Why can't it be true?" Brook said calmly.

"Because. . . because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework -- the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things. . . and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list. "

"Right again, Hermione!" Sirius said. "But the Ministry never knew that here used to be three unregistered Animagi running around Hogwarts. "

"Remus' transformations in those days were -- were terrible. It is very painful to turn into a werewolf. He was separated from humans to bite, so he bit and scratched himself instead. The villagers heard the noise and the screaming and thought they were hearing particularly violent spirits. Dumbledore encouraged the rumour. . . Even now, when the house has been silent for years, the villagers don't dare approach it. . . . "

"But apart from his transformations, he was happier than he had ever been in his life. For the first time ever, he had friends, three great friends. Sirius Black. . . Peter Pettigrew. . . and, of course, your father, Harry -- James Potter. "

"Now, his three friends could hardly fail to notice that he disappeared once a month. He made up all sorts of stories. He told them my mother was ill, and that he had to go home to see her. . . he was terrified they would desert him the moment they found out what he was. But of course, they, like you, Hermione, worked out the truth. . . . "

"And they didn't desert him at all. Instead, they did something for him that would make my transformations not only bearable but the best times of his life. They became Animagi. "

"You continue to amaze me with your observation skills Asura, " stated Sirius, astonished at her knowledge.

"Thanks."

"But how did that help Lupin?" said Hermione, sounding puzzled.

"They couldn't keep him company as humans, so they kept him company as animals," said Asura. "A werewolf is only a danger to people. They sneaked out of the castle every month under James's Invisibility Cloak. They transformed. . . Peter, as the smallest, could slip beneath the Willow's attacking branches and touch the knot that freezes it. They would then slip down the tunnel and join him. Under their influence, he became less dangerous. His body was still wolfish, but his mind seemed to become less so while he was with them. "

"It's scary how you know all this."

"I know things."

"Trust me, i know."

"We must get in the castle, it's getting late, " Brook pointed out.

"Where do we go?"

"We'll go to the room of requirements."

"The where?" Asked a very confused Hermione.

"Just follow us."