Chapter 2, She is awake

Jason POV

She is awake, she is awake, she is awake. That's all that matters now.

I walk out of the room towards the waiting room where her mother and sister are.

Her mom looks at me with sad eyes when I enter the room. Her eyes have been this way for weeks now. She looks devastated, exhausted and heartbroken.

"She is awake," is all I say.

Her mother's eyes light up and she jumps off her chair. She looks at me like I just said something magical, the words she has been waiting for.

''Omg,'' tears spring to her eyes and before I can say anything else she walks towards the room.

Her friends were here this morning and her dance team members yesterday. Just her sister is also sitting in the waiting room. She looks worse than her mom. Her hair is frizzy, her eyes have bags and she looks like she can breakdown any moment.

She looks up at my words, a shock goes through her face and she seems nervous and relieved.

I walk out of the room before she looks at me. I know it wrong of me but I can't look at her, I despise her. She was the one introducing him to her if it wasn't for her this would never have happened.

With my hands in my pocket, I walk out of the hospital.

I can't blame her sister. If I stayed with her for two more minutes she would be fine, I should have walked with her to the room, wait for her till she was done with her make-up.

I already had my suspicions, why did I leave her in a house with him?

I made a promise to her, to keep her safe and look what happened. She almost got murdered while she was just a couple of feet away from me.

I squeeze my shaking hand to fists and bite my teeth while walking out of the hospital. The cold air hits my skin and the rain runs down my face. I keep on walking towards the woods.

My skin starts to tingle and itch making me feel uncomfortable. I feel my nails grow and there is no point in fighting this. Since her accident, I have almost no control over my change. I need the escape from this life. I need to hide away in the woods and feel nothing.

When I'm far enough from the humans on the parking lot, I let myself go. I let my nails grow further, the hairs and tail, claws and ears. My body transforms, bones changing, freeing me from this traped feeling. Once I'm fully transformed I start running. I keep on running till I can't anymore. Until it's almost midnight, I know I should get home.

I know when I come home I will feel the same again. I have to tell my family what happened. They have been worried, waiting for me every evening to give them an update. Tonight I have something to tell them.

Once I'm near my house I change back and grab a short from the tree I put one in this morning. It's raining harder now, so when I enter my living room I leave a trail of water behind me, not caring.

When they see me, they all get quite. My father, all the boys from the pack and valentina are in here staring at me.

My body is freezing, now with the cold rain in my bare skin. I don't remember the last time I felt cold.

''Do you have news,'' Valentina asks carefully.

I nod and look up at her, ''She woke up,'' I say and smile briefly.

Her mouth falls open, ''Omg, that's amazing news!''

I nod again and want to walk to my bathroom to take a shower. I feel the eyes of the boys on me.

''But?'' my dad asks.

He knew, he knew something was up.

I look at him and try to push my emotions back.

''She doesn't know me anymore, she doesn't remember me,'' I see his face change and so does everyone's face. They look at each other and then back at me.

''Did the doctor tell you if it's permanent? Maybe her memories will come back in time.'' Aiden says, and everyone nods.

''Well they told us to prepare for the worse. Memory loss was one of the options but so was paralysis and blindness or deafness a lot of things. They can't tell what will happen until she wakes up. If it'd permanent or temporary, it will become clear in time.'' I explain.

Jake nods and walks over to me, sitting down on the table. ''So she just woke up today, a lot can change, right? She saw you, so we know she isn't blind, that amazing.''

He is optimistic and tries to make me feel good.

I nod. ''She can see, not very clear but she can, she can talk, she has to put a lot of effort into it and she can move, it hurt when she tries but she can,'' I say more to myself than to them.

''So she will get better,'' Valentina says.

I nod, ''She will be fine, she is awake, she can hear, see and move. She will be fine.'' I say and turn around to go up to my room. ''She will be fine...I'm gonna sleep, I'm tired.''

I hear the whispers from behind me when I leave the room but I don't put effort into listening to them.

I take a hot shower, letting the water burn on my skin.

I'm happy, I really am happy. I waited for the moment she would wake up for weeks, every moment of the day. I hoped this feeling eating me up from the inside would go away when she would wake up. When she would open her eyes and look at me. Of course, she would freak out at first but after that, she would be fine. She would smile at me and tell me she doesn't blame me for what happened.

But when she looked up at me with those blank eyes I knew it wouldn't be as I expected it to be. When she asked me who I am, it felt like she stabbed me in the heart. But there was still a little hope, maybe she just doesn't see me that well, so I said my name but her face didn't change. And that feeling got worse than before. I never thought I could feel pain like that.

I close my eyes and rest my head against the tiles, while I let the hot water run over my face and back.

The same images that have been chasing me for the last few days pop back in my head.

I chase the person I hate the most in the world into the woods. He ran as fast as he could when he saw he was outnumbered by us. The moment I saw Cira laying on the ground, her body covered in blood and her eyes closing, I snapped. I chased after him while the others were getting the other boys and helping Cira.

I ran through the woods, he was faster than anything I have ever seen. But not much faster than me. I was on his heels but when a branch almost snapped in my face I lost him. He was gone, he was just in front of me a second ago.

''You have grown since the last time I saw you.'' I hear a low voice from behind me.

I turn around and see him leaning against a tree. His face is relaxed like this is a thing he does on a daily.

''You are surrounded by people who know things they shouldn't ha?'' he grins while talking and start walking towards me.

I stand still, rage rising in me, but I will listen to what he has to say. Maybe he gives away useful info.

''First, your mother, interfering in stuff she shouldn't and now your little girlfriend, knowing stuff and being something weird. They deserve to die, your mother first and now, Cira. She will bleed to dead.''

He killed my mother and tried to kill the girl I love. Something snapped in me and before I knew it my feet kick him to the ground, I jump over him and see the shock in his eyes while I start hitting him.

The last images, if me standing over his dead body while the other boys find me, appears.

I punch the wall of the shower and let out a loud frustrated shout.