Chapter Twelve: A Wedding

I thank the earth for its gift of coffee and drink from the mug Mother gave me. Mother chuckled and brushed my long hair.

"I haven't brushed your hair since you were a child. But look at you now! So beautiful and getting married. It seems just like yesterday you were playing in the mud with Kine. He was so little too." Mother gushed happily.

I tried to look at her face, but she turned my head forward. I think she was crying now though because I could hear quiet hiccups.

"Are you okay, Mother?"

"Yes, my child. I can't help the tears. I'm just so happy for you and sad to see you so grown up. My baby girl doesn't need me anymore."

I got up and hugged my mother tightly. She was full-blown bawling now and I couldn't help but tear up myself.

"I'm always going to need you, Mumma. I love you."

"I love you too, baby girl." She sniffed and pulled away to compose herself.

Mother set the hairbrush down and brushed away the remaining tears from her face.

"Oh goodness, look at us. We still have to get you into your dress!"

I laughed and shook my head at my Mother's sudden outburst. Before she pulled me into Angel and I's bedroom, where Athena was waiting to put the finishing touches on the dress with me in it.

"Oh my, are you two alright?"

"Perfectly fine!" I laughed.

Mother was about to close the door, so they could help me into the dress when Rovick knocked on the open door.

"My Lady please excuse my interrupting, but Angel sent me to check on you. To see how your feeling."

"It's alright, Rovick. Can you let him know I'm okay?"

"Of course. Before I go may I ask you something, M'Lady?"

"Sure. What's the matter Rovick?"

"Have you seen Toris on your travels?"

"No, I haven't. Is something wrong?"

Rovick rubbed the back of his neck a bit nervously and shook his head.

"Of course not M'Lady! Just haven't seen him is all. I'll be going now to help your husband-to-be."

Dielanda, who pounced over from the other side of my bed gave Rovick an accusing look. She could feel Rovick was hiding something and since being saved by her Goddess, she would fight for me till her dying breath. Kine who felt the unease of his mate walked over to her side to move her back to the fireplace. She was still in recovery and was in no shape to start a fight with a Hellboy. Rovick remained still until Dielanda was away, then he sent me an apologetic look before closing the door behind him.

"That was odd." Athena commented and handed the gown over to my Mother.

"Agreed. Now dear do not worry about all that now. Today is a happy day to celebrate the binding of you and Angel!"

I nodded and pushed the worrying thoughts of Rovick and Toris out of my mind. Mother smiled at me and started to help me with my wedding gown. It felt like the softest silk against my skin and it was perfectly form-fitting. The black and white fabric of the gown trailed out behind me. The dress also had long, black sleeves that made me feel so elegant I stood up straight and confident. Mother braided a small strand of hair on either side of my head to meet in the back and flow down with the rest of my hair. Athena put on the last finishing touches to the dress and presented me with a silver friendship anklet. To which I graciously accepted and immediately put on.