Chapter Seventeen: Kingdom of Madness

I was gently nudged awake by Angel and he slowly lifted his wing, allowing my sensitive eyes to adjust. The sun was bright and very hot above us. Angel helped me stand and one of the female demons set down my now stitched tunic.

It was much shorter now, but I couldn't complain. It was such a kind gesture and I bowed in thanks as she set down some undergarments as well. Of course, they were kind enough to give me everything in black, I couldn't help the wide smile as I shifted into my normal form.

My legs were a bit shaky from being in my other form for so long. My head felt a little empty, reminding me of my lost friend and her presence. But soon that empty presence was replaced with our bond as Angel shifted. He clutched his side as his last rib snapped into place and let out a grunt of annoyance.

Angel was quickly handed a new pair of black pants and put them on. I dressed as fast as I could and held my tunic closed until Amy walked over with my belt. My eyes widened at seeing the gift my parents had given me so long ago. I was surprised they actually kept it.

The throwing knives hadn't been cleaned but I didn't really care at that moment. I took it from her and swiftly tightened it to keep my tunic closed. With no longer having to worry about being indecent I let out a sigh of relief and pulled Amy into a tight embrace. She returned the comforting affection and sniffled back some tears. I could tell she was still hurting and it broke my heart to see my friend like this.

"My Love, you need to eat." Angel interrupted us and handed me some bread with water to go with it.

I quickly ate the stale food but savoured the feeling of a less starving belly. As I chugged down the water, quenching my thirst, I noticed the Demons began to gather around us. I stopped before all the water was gone and handed the rest to Angel. He thanked me with a kiss on the cheek before finishing the rest of the leather canteen.

"Mam vhat 're ve doin?"

I met the voice of one of the Demons with a smile.

"How about we go pay your old queen a visit and save the others?"

I was met with many grins and eyes glistening with the desire for vengeance. My own face must have mimicked their own because the next thing I knew they erupted in cheers.

"Down with the old Queen!"

"Long live the new Queen!"

"We'll tear the evil fiend limb from limb!"

"For freedom and justice!" I yelled and punched the air as my people let out their war cries.

Angel smirked down at me and I turned to him with a flirtatious wink. He chuckled and pulled me into a passionate kiss. Hoots and hollers echoed around us from our display of affection. Once we pulled away from each other, we turned to the others and gestured for them to lead the way.

"This way! I will avenge you, brother!" Amy called out and started ahead at a wild sprint.

Angel and I followed close behind her, avoiding rocks and sticks in our crazed dash. The rest of the group followed close behind Rovick, Toris, Dielanda and the hounds as they followed us. It took us all day to reach the edge of the Ash Lands with short stops along the way to rest and eat.

Thankfully, many of the females shared some of their food with me. While some of the males gave up their meals to Angel, claiming they needed both their Alpha's to be at their full strength.

Now, we looked over a long stretch of fields filled with a variety of wild herbs and flowers. It was a beautiful sight to see, as the bright colours of the wildlife mixed with the sunset and danced in the light breeze. The large, walled-in kingdom cast a gloomy aura over the land. Oddly enough, only adding to the vast elegance before me and I stood bewitched by it all. Angel came and held me from behind, watching me. After a few moments I turned to him.