Chapter Fifteen: The Ashlands

When I awoke, I was laid out on soft smoke-smelling ground. Panic struck me until I spotted Angel chained to a burnt tree, just an arm's length away. I instinctively went for my belt to find it absent and in its place silver chains. They felt like they were drawing my strength. As if it wasn't difficult enough with our unborn draining me, now these bindings were making it worse.

"You're finally awake I see, my Jewel."

Angel went into a coughing fit after speaking and I tried my best to crawl in front of him. He was starting to cough up blood, making my heart rate spike. I quickly used my remaining strength to ignite us in healing, blue flames.

"Whoa, did you see that?" Came a whisper from one of the warriors.

"That's impossible." Another replied.

Angel let out a roar of pain as I heard his ribs crack back into place. I grimaced and embraced my poor husband. They must have beaten him while I was out cold. But to leave him for death is cruel, even for the darkest of souls like my own.

"I'm glad you woke in time. They made you drink some sort of herbal water. Something to make you sleep longer. I've learned the Queen's Third is named, Varnerk. He told me his name thinking I wouldn't make it 'til you awoke."

"Thank the heavens I awoke when I did then."

"How unfortunate you're still alive!" Varnerk shouted while he approached with the larger, male demons behind him.

"You idiot! We are bound! If he dies, I die too!" I screamed, my rage taking control.

My flames ignited with renewed vigour as I lashed out at Varnerk.

"We are forbidden to bind to our mates by our Queen. I had forgotten about that small part of the binding. This is why love makes you weak, little Goddess."

"Small part of the binding? How in the name of Hades is that a small part to be forgotten?"

"Hades be damned! You weak, pathetic, little Goddess!"

"That is my Father you're talking about, so I advise you watch your tongue!"

I stood in front of my mate, guarding him from our captors. Varnerk walked right into my personal space, into the flames. He smirked down at me and wrapped his hand around my throat. Not enough to cut off my air but enough to attempt to intimidate me. Angel released a low warning growl towards Varnerk as his body kept trying to change forms. The silver chains, surprising me, kept him from changing.

"Be quiet Wolf Tribesman! My Queen wishes you alive, but she didn't say anything about unharmed. Continue to defy me and I'll make sure you're both properly punished." Varnerk hissed, tightening his grip.

I showed no signs of struggle, unwilling to give him the satisfaction. I let out a loud growl, like a wolf raising their hackles but he showed no signs of stopping until he got the response he wanted. So, I did the only sensible thing anyone would do in my situation.

I raised my bound fits and rounded him right in the nose. Then as he gasped and released his grip, I bit down into the flesh of his wrist. Blood burst from the overly sadistic Demon from my fangs piercing a main vein and I relished in drinking some of his life essence. He reacted quickly and ripped his wrist from my jaws, making the tears in his flesh deeper and longer.

"You bitch! Damn!"

He cradled his wound, attempting to stop the bleeding. I couldn't help the wicked satisfaction I felt from seeing him in pain.