Chapter Eighteen: The Rightful Queen

We awoke at the crack of dawn once again, but this morning was a red sun. A bad omen. It cast red and pink light over the field of flowers. It was beautiful, but I was on edge. Angel felt my caution through our bond and made sure his sword was strapped tight to his side. I ran my fingers over the hilts of my blades, making sure they were secure as well. To which they were, and, in a way, it comforted me to know I was armed.

Once we woke everyone and made sure they were ready, we set off for the kingdom. We set a gentle pace, wanting to keep our strength. I could already feel the impending battle that was to happen once we reached the kingdom. I could feel the anxious thoughts of the demons around me and in front of us. They could feel me getting closer. An ominous threat of death came with the light breeze and it only drove me to move faster.

I had slight bloodlust towards the unrighteous queen and I couldn't wait to return to the others. This is what was calling me to Earth. This is the threat I felt from afar.

My destiny. Our group stayed close together, our only plan was to get me close to the Queen. It was I who had to dethrone her in order to regain my title. I needed to prove my strength and banish the madness. It took us all morning to cross the large field to the kingdom.

We ran at speeds only humans could dream of. Angel unsheathed his sword as we approached the gates to the kingdom. They were already open and looked to be broken. This place would appear to be deserted to the untrained eye, but I could tell from the tracks and slight displacement of rocks that someone was here recently.

Angel was not keen on our plan. He didn't want me to go into harm's way, especially with our young. But he knew just as much as I did that it needed to be done. The air turned stagnant as we walked through the crumbling rock and metal.

The walls surrounding the kingdom were just like the gate. It was as if the structures themselves were dying. The small huts surrounding the castle were in no better condition. But the castle looked immaculate.

She must be using them to keep herself comfortable. The thought made a low growl rip through my chest. The air around us was vibrating from my powers. I was a Goddess after all and the rightful ruler of my people.

The skies were turning grey as storm clouds rolled in. Zeus and the other Gods must be watching. I only prayed they were on my side in this. I know my parents would be, but Father and Mother aren't allowed on Earth without consent from the others. The older Gods were stronger.

My Father being one of the three was able to open a rift between worlds, he would bring Hell to Earth for me. But alas, that was forbidden between the elder Gods and I wasn't strong enough to do such things. It was times like this where I wish I had that kind of power. I felt my heart rate increase as waves of new energy were being sent in our direction. They were all searching for themselves.

There were hundreds of them, even the rare child being hidden by their unbound soulmate parents. I could feel their unease and fear as we pressed through their dirt streets. Angel was having trouble controlling his bestial side as soft roars came from the shadows around us.

I intertwined my hand into his, calming his other side. My entire being was calm and preparing for what would stand at the end of the road. I rushed us all to move faster, our loyal Demons were at our sides and keeping the other Demons at bay. Toris, Rovick and Amy were right behind us with the Hounds and Dielanda.

"I don't like this, Gorenora. Something feels off about them." Toris spoke up, referring to the ones hiding in the shadows.

"They're under her control. But they're waking up now that I'm here. I think she's one of the reasons the separation of them from me caused the madness. I think she can control the disease, manipulate it to her will."