TWENTYTHIRD CHAPTER

Losing heat

Dara's stubbornness could put a five year old told she cannot go see Santa Claus to shame, Ji has proven, as the Head Nurse finally relented to go home. Despite agreeing to leave after he threatened her, she took her time in arranging everything and making sure that each and every one in the Nursing staff knew what to do.

"You've been putting off going home for an hour now" he told her impatiently.

She paused to look down her watch just as some of her nurses were filling out her office "So I have" she answered, an edge in her voice.

"If you're thinking that I won't do as I threatened, you're wrong."

"I didn't even think that for a second. Do you see me fighting you off?"

Still as feisty as ever, he thought to himself as he felt somewhere inside him albeit reluctantly that he missed talking to her like this... seeing her checking up on him... her way of telling him things no one else would tell him... her directness in looking at him without fear or judgment... he missed her.

"Then, are we both going now?"

"Yes" she answered stiffly, finished with packing her stuff.

"I'll take that" he told her as he lifted her bag from the table, not pausing to ask whether he wanted him to carry the bag or not and led the way out of her office.

"Are you taking me home through your motorcycle?" she asked, suddenly stopping.

"Yes" he answered sarcastically.

She didn't take it lightly though "You most certainly are not!"

He turned to face her and found to both his pleasure and irritation that she was trying not to be intimidated by his look. She was sick, alright, but she was nowhere near feeling weak. "I was being sarcastic" Ji told her "unless of course that is what you want."

Dara flashed annoyance at him but did not answer.

He started to walk again and headed for the parking lot, Dara, just right behind him.

"We're taking my car" he pointed towards a black Chevrolet.

Obviously, the Head Nurse was very surprised about this piece of information but he didn't expound any further. He opened the car door for her and made sure she was comfortably seated before heading over his side.

It was weird but Dara would be the first woman to ride on it.

"I didn't know you already bought a car" she said to him, fastening her seat belt.

"A lot of people don't" he dismissed, not wanting to talk any more about it as he didn't feel comfortable should they suddenly talk about why he bought it.

She closed her eyes and heaved a deep sigh as though preparing herself for something ugly. Ji took a sideways glance at her, his eyebrows arching and was about to make a retort when he found himself caught by the play of light against her pale skin.

Flashbacks of the way he had kissed her on the beach came unbidden to his mind and he immediately shook his head in an attempt to shake off the memories as well.

Irritated at himself, he started to drive off to calm himself down.

It isn't good to continue thinking about her in any other way than as their head nurse. His cousins are already talking amongst themselves about it and despite knowing that he doesn't have to worry about that, he doesn't want it to go out of hand less any of the locals suddenly get a whiff of it. Dara would not have done a thing and they would still butcher her because he showed interest.

She isn't one of those girls he could play around and leave behind.

Dara is something else entirely.