TWENTYEIGHT CHAPTER

The Land Trembles

Ji called up Young Bae the moment he knew that he was set-up.

"Where the hell are you?" he asked his best friend over the phone as soon as the other man answered after five tries.

"Don't shout man" Young Bae answered over the other line.

"I'm going to ask you again, where the hell are you?" Ji didn't care whether his voice was at a hundred decibels.

"I went to pick-up Sun Mi" Young Bae answered in a whisper and Ji felt his eyes thin to slits.

"Sun Mi?!?"

"She's a new waitress from one of the restaurants at the beach and I promised to take her out when she's free... she happened to be free tonight." Ji was betting that his best friend was smiling like a dog right now and he'd share his sentiments too if it wasn't for the fact that he left him with Dara.

"I thought we were both going to help out Mai-noona look after Dara?!? You even made me promise to her that I was going to stay too!!!"

"Well... Mai-noona won't really need two doctors right and come on man! At least give me this night. I'll cover for your shift tomorrow I promise."

"I, somehow, don't trust your promises anymore MAN" Ji answered sarcastically.

"I won't break the one about work" Young Bae told him "Hey! I'm really sorry okay? But you have to understand Ji... I've been asking this girl out for ages and I can't let this chance pass me by."

Ji heaved a sigh and knew how pointless it was to rant – which wasn't his style at all. "Next time we see one another, I'm going to plant a fist on your eye" he told his best friend and just shook his head "Cover for me tomorrow then."

"Ha! Ha!" Young Bae yelped on the other line "Knew you'd understand bro. I'm going to go back in there now coz I've made her wait long enough. I'll see you the day after tomorrow then."

Ji put down the phone and looked uncertainly at the door of Dara's house. He told his noona he'd go down a while to check where Young Bae has gone to and to also escape from Dara's presence.

She – a little disheveled as she was – wasn't doing any good for his peace of mind or his pants.

"You're perverted as hell" he scolded himself "Think about her Grandfather and those childhood pictures... think about saints... think about churches..."

"Ji Yong... what are you murmuring about?" Mai asked him as she suddenly popped open the door much to Ji's surprise.

"Oh! Noona! You shocked the hell out of me."

"Ow I'm sorry" the older woman apologized "I just went down because I heard you shouting a while ago."

Ji nodded sullenly " I was just shouting at Young Bae."

"Has he finally answered your call? What did he say?"

"He said he had to pick-up a date – a girl named Sun Mi from one of the local restaurants."

Mai shook her head, smiling helplessly. "I'm going to teach that guy a lesson from running off like this. Why, he left only you and me to look after Dara."

"I bet he'll be hiding himself behind a rock in the following days."

"Well... I sure hope this Sun Mi is beautiful because if she isn't, Young Bae will suffer the full brunt of my anger in the next days."