THIRTYSEVENTH CHAPTER

Ask for more

Dara tried, she really tried, to keep their relationship secret.

She made a point of not gazing at him when they were in public together and she kept interaction brief and formal. But inside she trembled with insecurity when he didn't glance at her and she knew why.

Over the past days, she had been constantly reminded that no relationship of Ji's had ever lasted. Why should theirs be any different?

Theirs was even being kept secret because Ji didn't want what was going on between the two of them being the talk of every table in the island. She knew how he hated the gossipmongers prattling every now and then.

But even knowing that it was probably doomed, she wouldn't have changed anything. And if she spent her days racked with doubts as to his feelings, when night came she was left in no doubt at all.

Like teenagers hiding from prowling parents, he visited her room by going through her beach side window and spent time with her until the early hours.

They ate, talked, and made love, but he never stayed the whole night and Dara didn't know whether she felt frustrated by that or grateful.

On the one hand she was slightly relieved not be the subject of local gossip, but on the other hand she was greedy for time with him. She loved the fact that he talked to her and sensed that he said things to her that he never said to anyone else.

Occasionally, the conversation turned to the topic of his family.

"You're still very lucky for having your cousins" she murmured one night as she lay with her head on his shoulder "I suppose that they're the only people who made you go home here."

"They have always been there to back me up" he stroked a hand over her hair "After both of my parents died, Seunghyun was relentless in somehow getting me to go back here. It's a new feeling because while my Father was still alive, he was relentless in seeming to drive me away. Half the time before their accident, I didn't even go home and my mother always worried. I slept on the beach or borrowed the old barn by the Gangjeon's. That was fine until the night I lit a fire to keep warm and the wind changed."

Dara's heart twisted "I guessed things were bad. You once slept on the old beach house we had, remember?"

His arms tightened around her "I actually did that a lot."

"Well, I watched out for you because I saw you the first night. I told Grandpa about it and he told me to bring you a blanket."

"You were the one putting blankets on me?" he uttered in surprise.

"Grandpa said you were too proud but we both worried about you. So, if there were times I'd see you there, I sneaked out to cover you in a blanket."

"I had always wondered about that but I guess I just automatically thought it was your Grandpa. I think he also knew that I would never ask so he never really spoke to me about it. We had a strange relationship because deep inside, I always knew it was PrincipalPark – who weirdly enough – understood me the most."

"He's very wise. And at the time you burned down the science lab, he had gotten angry but his calm quickly took over and he chuckled."

"He chuckled?"

"He told me he was waiting when you were going to use all the materials you were buying form the drug store."

"He knew, of course."