FORTY FIRST CHAPTER

To him who knows her so well

It has been three days since she and Ji broke it off and she felt thankful to have this day to herself. Two days of having to pretend that nothing is wrong as she watches him continue on as though saying goodbye to her is the easiest thing he could have done hurts her so bad that it has been such a struggle.

She is surprised no one is noticing it or pointing it out but she is also thankful for that.

Today, however, she isn't going to see him so she is expecting that she wouldn't feel the crippling pain too much. She woke up early since Chaerin told her they were going to come over for brunch and decided to do as much as she could before the activities of the day took over.

Jogging up to her favorite spot, Dara stared out into the sea and is surprised to find a familiar figure running down the beach.

"Jay!", she called out to him and watched as he stopped his pace and waved at her enthusiastically. He pulled down the hood covering his head and she saw his handsome face look at her with glee.

In truth, she hadn't seen him for the past two days too and was fighting off calling him because she is afraid that she might break down to him and that wouldn't be fair to the man at all. She has to admit, though, that he is the only one she could think of who actually understands her... it is ironic but there is no denying the truth – Jay WAS and IS actually her best friend.

"Dara!", he greeted back but signaled to stop her from hugging him as she ran towards him, "I'm sweaty so don't hug me."

"I don't care", she told him, though, and still hugged him – happy in the comfort of arms she had always relied on, "Where have you been?"

"Uhmmm... just going about the island and making the most of this vacation. You're jogging too?", he asked her and wiped the sweat that had formed at her forehead.

"I just started", she replied, "You seem to have been up earlier than me."

"I went out sailing this morning."

"You should have told me. I have my own sail", she chided as they started to walk.

"I know it's your day off so I thought you might sleep in since you're always up so early. However, I was planning on surprising you later for brunch."

She frowned at him. "Why did you tell me about it?!? Now, I won't be surprised at all!"

He laughed at her. "Ok. So... to surprise you, why don't I just NOT show up for brunch?"

Dara thumped him on the back. "When did you get to be so cheeky?"

"Just now", he answered, "Seeing you in sweats has that effect on me."

She laughed at this, not used to seeing this side of him all that often because he is primarily a lawyer – often very serious and quite tenacious in his work and letting lose has always been last on his list.

"You seem bent on really having fun for this vacation huh?"

He nodded. "Yes. I promised myself this vacation is going to be unforgettable."

"Why?"

He smiled mysteriously. "If you could spend the whole day with me today, maybe I'll let you know."

She expelled a breath of surprise. "My. My. Mr. Jay Park, you're outdoing yourself today."

"I'm going to take that as a yes Ms. Sandara", he told her, "And yes... My game plan for the whole vacation is to outdo myself. I hope you don't mind if I start it off with a lucky charm."