Pay Your Way ✔

Z A Y N E  P O V

Day two of the trip. I'm up early to have a swim. When I walked back to the house, Karla's parents are on the decking doing yoga. Step into my room, have a shower dress, get breakfast. Walked towards the kitchen, I could hear Karla's mum talking. "You need to watch what you eat." She said.

"Mum, will you give me a fucking break?" Karla is upset.

"This is why you haven't got a boyfriend," Her mother is really giving her a tough time.

"My god, it's because of you my boyfriend's leave. You just have to keep putting me down in front of them. You have no idea what trouble you cause me." Karla sounds irate.

"Don't blame me. I keep telling you to watch what you eat. You are the one who is to blame," Her mother is nasty. Stood with my hands in my pockets of my shorts just out of sight listening to her mother.

"You really are impossible. You never fucking listen to me. I should never have come." Karla sounded tearful.

"You can leave. I'm not stopping you." Her mother said with a harsh tone.

"I will leave," Karla replies to her mother. That is when I step into the kitchen.

"Morning," I said as I grab a coffee.

"Morning Zayne," Karla's mother says. Karla just looks at me with a smile walks towards her room. 

Her mother sits at the table. My parents walk in, to have breakfast. They sit at the table. Judge Janson walks in looks at his wife. He didn't look impressed.

"Is Karla still sleeping?" My mother asks.

"No. She's went back to her room," Her mother says. My mother looks at me I smile. Walk back to my room to sit on the porch. Looked down towards the ocean. Karla is stood with her back to me. Put my cup down walked down towards her.

"What the hell do you want," She rants.

"I'm going for a walk. Do you want to come?" She looked upset. She looks at me and back towards the house.

"Sorry Zayne, I don't feel like going for a walk. I'm trying to figure out how to get of this Island." She looks down at the sand back out over the ocean.

"To get off the Island you need to call the ferry to come pick you up," I reply. Put my hands in my pockets. Her eyes looked teary like she had been crying.

"I just want to be as far away from my mother as I can get," She sits on the sand hugging her legs up tight to her chest.

"I did hear." I say. Sit beside her.

"She doesn't realise what she says did have an impact on my boyfriends," Her voice is full of sorrow.

"Is she the reason you haven't got a boyfriend now?" I asked Karla.

"My last boyfriend I had was going to ask me to marry him, but my mother ruined it. All she had to do is be a mother. But instead she talked about what I should be eating the exercises I should be doing. He took off a couple of weeks later," Karla sounded like she had hit rock bottom.

"Karla, I think you are perfect the way you are," I looked out over the ocean.

"Zayne you haven't got to lie to me," She really thought I'm lying to her. I'm being honest. I just smiled at her.

****************

K A R L A  P O V

Zayne is sitting on the sand with me. I don't know if I should believe what he said. He smiled at me. I smiled back. We both look over our shoulder when we heard our parents walking towards us. "Zayne, we thought we would go into town to do some shopping," His mother said looks at both of us.