The Right Move

Z A Y N E P O V

Seeing Karla bleed out like she had hit me so hard. She was rushed to the hospital, where she had to have emergency surgery to stop the internal bleeding. Nina had done the unthinkable to her.

I am sitting in the waiting area with Steve, Karla's father. He could not believe what was happening. I looked at this tall man, who is regarded as a judge and takes the rules very seriously. He is feared when he is in his robe sitting in his courtroom, but outside the doors, he is just a regular guy.

My parents are sitting with us. Karla's mother is not here; Steve told her to stay away from her when she arrived at the hospital, so Katie left in a shitty mood. It is times like this that bring the family together, which is not right. Family should be together all the time, not just when something happens.

I did lose my cool, then thought about what Karla would say to me, which made me realise she was right. I stood and started to pace the waiting room. My brother looks at me.

"Zayne. I'm sure she is fine." That is the first time my brother has ever said something nice to me. He places his hand on my shoulder. I place my hand on his. We have never been close, not like we should have.

My parents thought we were a nightmare when we were together; all we ever did was physically fight. I did not know why we were like this.

Karla had been gone for some time. I was getting anxious; not knowing is the worst feeling to have. I stood by the window, just leaning up against it with my hands in my pockets.

I glanced over towards the entrance to notice a team of doctors walk in, then close the door. I stood up straight, watching their body language to see if it was sad news, but they gave nothing away. They stood by the closed door and looked at everyone.

"I would like to speak to Karla's husband." One of the doctors says:.

"I'm Karla's husband." I said as I stepped forward, towards them.

"I need permission to speak freely." He asks.

"Yes. We are Karla's family." I tell him.

"Karla. Is in recovery. Her hand is so severely damaged that we tried everything to save the nerves, but with physiotherapy, she will get full use back. The stab wound to her side was so severe that we had to remove one of her kidneys. Her other kidney is functioning fine. We had to keep a close watchful eye on her because it came to our attention with her blood work that Karla was pregnant." I stared at him in a daze, not believing what he just said.

I sit down, and my mother glances at me. Steve is staring at me. My whole family looked at me. "I take it you did not know she was pregnant." The doctor says, I shake my head. "We did a scan to make sure the foetus was unharmed. It was moving around a lot, and the heartbeat was strong. It looks like your wife is about twelve weeks pregnant." I rubbed my face.

I'm shocked. Hell, I'm going to be a father. Is this real? I am so ecstatic that we are having a baby.

"You can go and see her. She needs rest, so please, not too much excitement." I shake hands with the doctor.

We all headed towards Karla's room. All I wanted to do was hold her in my arms. I know I will never leave her alone.

I open the door to see Karla hooked up to a few machines, and then I hear a heartbeat, but I knew it was not Karla's; it was our baby's. I held the hand that was not hurt. I kissed her cheek. She is sleeping so soundly, but it is the medication that she is on that helps her sleep.