~Chapter 18~

I drummed my fingers nervously on my legs. "Why do I have to go again?"

"Because you're going to solve your problem," Shinso stated firmly.

"What would you do if I jumped out the window?" I asked blandly, I hoped my passive aggressive comments were enough to get him to stop. I know I agreed to get in and go talk to Hideyo, but I have come to regret that decision. I just wanted my problems to solve themselves. For Hideyo to magically understand that I didn't sleep with Tony.

I knew my hopes were far fetched but I couldn't stop myself from wishing anyway.

"I'd run you over," Shinso replied just as bland.

"You'd go that far out of your way just to hit me?" I questioned, trying to sound flabbergasted.

"Who wouldn't?" He replied, again copying my tone.

"How about instead of going to Hideyo's, we go to one of your friend's houses. What was that one guy's name?" I continued with my questions, trying to annoy him into letting me get my way.

"No," Shinso said and for a moment I thought he was going to leave it at that until he continued, "We aren't going to Kaminari's."

"Kaminari! That's his name!" I spoke without much thought, at this point it wasn't really a surprise though. "Can we go visit him instead? I bet he has nothing better to do."

"I bet he doesn't," Shinso sounded mildly amused and cleared his throat before continuing to speak, "If you go the rest of this car ride without complaining I'll introduce you to him."

"That's not what I wanted," I whined, "I wanted you to give into my complaining and not make me go to Hideyo's at all."

"I swear to god I feel like your babysitter," I heard him mumble, "I'm not going to give into to your bitching."

I sighed, "Fine, I'll stop."

I felt something I haven't felt in a while. Nervous. Usually in most situations involving talking to people, even strangers, I was just fine. I mean, they're just people what's so bad about them? What could go wrong?

Now things were different. What's so bad about them? I'd be dealing with an angsty Hideyo and probably leave crying after just my presence is enough to get her upset enough to insult me. What could go wrong? I could lose my best friend.

I sighed and looked out the window. I saw Shinso glance at me out of the side of my eye.

"This is new," I heard him comment.

"What is?" I asked with a distinct lack of energy.

"You're quiet for once," Shinso noted, he glanced at me once again. I tried to convince myself I was alright. Maybe if I believed it he would too.

"What can I say," I put on an arrogant voice, "Guess I finally ran out of things to say."

That was a lie. I could run my mouth for hours and still have something to say. Right now I could continue on about how much I miss my best friend. How it stings that she doesn't believe me. How I don't have anyone at school who believes me. That I only have one person I can trust left and he seems to lack all sympathy.

"Never thought I'd see the day," he sounded amused again, I wanted to think I fooled him but I didn't think that was the case. After seeing how easily he could read someone he just met it wouldn't come as a shock if he could see right through me.

We turned onto Hideyo's street and I noted the fact that he was going about half to the speed limit. I knew Shinso was trying to figure out which house was hers. I was impressed he remembered this much, but my awe only grew as he turned into the correct driveway.

The grey house had always seemed welcoming but things were different now. Just glancing at it I felt a wave of intimidation wash over me. I took a deep breath and examined all the features that I've come to practically memorize over the years.

The white shutters, black shingles, and wooden chairs on the porch. The rose garden was always my favorite part, even after pricking myself on the bushes multiple times.

"I'll wait in the car, go talk to her," I turned my head to look at him, trying to mentally plead with him but he just gave me a shrug.

He knows how uncomfortable I am yet he doesn't care.

I seriously considered getting out of the car and just walking home. I didn't live too far and I could just mentally rant to myself while I paced the length of my bedroom.

God forbid I thought Shinso had a soul for a moment.

My pleading turned into a genuine glare as I got out and walked up to knock on the door. I did everything in my power to make my posture seem confident but on the inside I was shaking.

It was strange knocking instead of just walking straight inside. I felt awkward, like I was in some sort of alternate dimension where Hideyo and I were just acquaintances.

Hideyo's mother, who looked even more like a model than her daughter did, was the one to open the door. She was always friendly, practically my second mom but after seeing that she wasn't smiling as she said "Hello." Told me she must've heard the faux rumor.

"Is Hideyo home?" I fiddiled with the end of my shirt, trying desperately to look innocent but just from her bland look I felt guilty, like I actually did do it.

Mrs. Watanabe paused for a moment before replying, "Why do you want to see her?"

"I just want to clear some things up," I replied shakily. I could only wonder what Shinso was thinking in the car, hopefully he wasn't paying too much attention. Something told me that wasn't the case.

I looked up just in time to see her small eye roll, "Probably should've thought things through, huh?"

"I didn't do it, you really think I would?" I flipped the question on her, a trick I've learned after dealing with my younger cousins for long enough.

Her hesitation was tangible as another long pause washed over us, "After enough alcohol I think you might loose enough common sense, I've kept telling you girls parties are no good."

"It's where all the gossip is born," I stated, "Real or fake."

Her gaze landed on me, I could feel it. I locked eyes with her and after a few seconds a smile grew on her face. She believes me.

"She's in her room," Mrs. Watanabe informed me. "Hideyo hasn't been in the best of mood since your fight. I'm not sure seeing you will help but I do hope you girls clear this up."

"I do too," I gave her nervous laugh as I walked inside and towards the staircase.

Hideyo's mother stayed in the kitchen going back to fixing dinner. I slowly made my way up the stairs, hesitating with every step. Even after stalling, I found myself at Hideyo's door sooner than I wanted to. I haven't even though of what to say.

I raised my hand to knock and let it stay suspended in the air for a moment. I shut my eyes tightly, "Now or never," I mumbled silently to myself. I knocked before I could hesitate anymore.

"Mom?" I heard Hideyo's voice on the other side and almost had to stop myself from running.

"Uhh... not quite," I replied back, keeping my voice even as best I could.

I didn't hear her right away, not until after I heard the door click. Was she locking it or unlocking it? I couldn't decide which one I hoped for more, this conversation would be so much easier if it wasn't face to face.

"What do you want?" The door opened, happiness came over me briefly before I realized I'd have to talk now. What was I even supposed to say?

"I'm not sure," was all I said at first, "I guess I wanted to clear things up."

I wasn't sure how to end this chapter but here you go. This is as good as ending as your getting until next time.

For some I reason I felt like Shinso wasn't acting very Shinso like... was he too pushy/stubborn? Or did it seem fine?

Doesn't matter now cause I usually do my take on the character instead of trying to seem exactly the same as in the anime.

Anyway Thanks for reading I hope you enjoyed!