PROLOGUE

Alex hadn't always been alone.

In fact, when she was a child she was actually quite close to her family. She loved them more than anything and spent all of her time with them. However, things changed rather quickly for her, and the rest of the Holt family. At the age of twelve, her mother left with no apparent reason.

It was a cold morning, the wind was beating against the windows as a young Alex woke up. The dark sky didn't stop her from her usual routine of rushing to the kitchen to see what her mother whipped up for breakfast. It was a shock to see that no one was there except a small note on the counter, her mother's handwriting scribbled across it.

I'm sorry

No explanation just those few words and several valuables gone. Not valuable in cost, but in heart. A picture of Alex and her little brother Dylan, he was six at the time, she was three years older, was missing from the mantle. Dylan received his father's genes, dark hair and mesmerizing hazel eyes, he was handsome just like Mr. Holt. Alex looked exactly like her mother, blonde hair and green eyes.

There was also the locket that was supposedly to be handed down to Alex when she was older; she never got the locket.

She never got a lot of things. Alex was never the same after her mother left, she loved her mother, and she always thought it was mutual. But as the years grew and there was still no sign of the women, she was left to believe that it was her fault. Although she never did anything to cause the sudden disappearance, her teenage-self blamed it on herself.

Everything changed the day she left, it changed for the worse. Everyone saw it, they saw her disappear in front of their faces. Her brother saw it, her father, the friends she had, but she was making her own decisions and there was nothing that anyone could do about it. The path she headed on only went down and she was going to need a big push to bring her back up.