CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

A week had passed and Alex and Barry has searched the entire city a dozen times over with no sign of Eddie. She was updated on what happened after she was shot, which Joe apologized profusely for. Alex used her powers to see if Eddie knew where he was. They weren't left with much information, just that he was tied to a chair with pipes filling the room he was in.

Joe invited her over for dinner the night after she was recovered and made her favourite, spaghetti. Alex gladly accept the offer. She came to enjoy the suppers with the West's, it reminded her of the others in Keystone.

Iris didn't show up, though she was invited as well. Alex knew that she was worried about Eddie and that the Flash made her swear not to tell anyone what was going on. That included her father, who knew more than she did. However, her lack of appearance made it easy for Joe to continue to apologize to her.

Alex was healed perfectly fine and she didn't worry about it one bit. In fact, she felt even healthier than before. Whatever healing powers she gained had worked on everything else that was wrong with her as well. Barry was quiet to everyone since they set the trap. Alex wasn't sure if he was mad at her, Joe, or Wells. Her bet was all three.

Joe had received the cold shoulder from his adoptive son, and he guessed that it was because he shot Alex. It was never his intention to hurt her, she had just moved at the last second and received the hit. There was nothing that Barry could do either, the bullet passed the force field before he could reach it.

Maybe the real reason he was distant was because he was mad at himself. Mad that Wells got away and that he was fully aware of everything going on. Mad that he couldn't save Eddie before being taken. Mad that he didn't get the confession to save his father. Mad that he couldn't save Alex in time.

What would have happened if she didn't heal like she did? Alex would have died in his arms for the second time within a year and there was nothing he could do to change it. He was terrified that she was going to get hurt like that again, and watching her bleed out on the floor confirmed those fears.

She stayed with Barry that night. The same night that she couldn't sleep and Barry woke himself up crying from a nightmare. Alex comforted him until he fell back asleep. She promised him that she wouldn't get critically hurt anymore. They had the same healing abilities at that point, so he couldn't only worry about her as much as himself.

Barry didn't remember waking up in the middle of the night from the nightmare. He remembered the dream quite vividly, but never recalled Alex soothing him afterwards. She didn't mention it to him either, thinking it was his male ego taking over. Joe was out of the house by the time the two dragged themselves out of bed.

Barry got up first and claimed the shower. He nearly had a heart attack when Alex offered to join him.

After coffee, Alex told Barry that she was going to another run around the city to see if she could find Eddie. He was headed to work but would meet up with her afterwards at STAR Labs. Alexandra had already tried to see if she could use his speed while herself, but was unable to. The new powers must have come in gradually, or possibly they were just selective. Either way, she wasn't complaining about the healing.

Alex searched everywhere underground. By the looks of things he was in some sort of basement, she just didn't know where. It took her hours to go through all of the basements in Central City and there was still no sign from him. She was getting frustrated by all of this, and that she still had no idea what her mother had to do with it all.

There were some things that started making sense to her. Like why Wells insisted to keep that bracelet on; he was keeping his identity from her. Why he knew so many things about Barry's speed and how to do things. Hell, even why he didn't like her - she stood in the way of destroying Barry.