CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Alex offered to go speak with Wells for Barry's sake of not having to get his questions answered on his own. He declined, it was something he had to do on his own. Besides, he knew that Alex would also wanted to ask him questions about her own mother and more seriously, her future – their future.

So, while Barry went to go speak to the man that caused him years of grief, she waited down the hall for him to come out. Alex could hear the echoes of them speaking from down the empty hall, but she couldn't form distinct sentences. There wasn't any yelling, which meant that things couldn't have been going to haywire.

It was nearly half an hour by the time Barry came storming out of the holding cell. There was a serious look on his face and he hadn't even noticed Alex sitting until she called out his name. Whatever Wells told him, it didn't seem to be the answer he was looking for. Barry still had the same anxious look on him.

"I'll explain everything later, okay?" Barry promised. She had asked him what he had said. "I know you want to ask him a bunch of stuff too, so I'll let you do that first. Just, don't let anything he says get to your head."

"Yeah, I know," Alex pecked his lips. Wells was finishing up the last of the Big Belly Burger he had received when he first woke up. She could finally ask him questions without fear of him killing her anymore. He didn't say anything as she leaned against the frame of the door way. "What did you do to my mother?"

"I told you already," Wells wiped his hand with one of the napkins. "I made her leave."

"Why? Why not kill her? Why do it at all in the first place?" Alex pushed herself off of the wall and stood closer to the glass. She knew what it was like being on the other side of that cell, and the way Wells was acting made her uncomfortable. It was like he knew he wasn't going to be stuck in there for much longer.

"She was a beautiful woman, your mother. You look just like her, by the way," Wells complimented. "I told you before, Alex. I made her leave her family. I did it, because this was the start of your change. This is where your roots of rebellion grew, and I needed that to help kill Barry.

"Had I not changed your future like I had, you would never have become the villain you are in my time. You would have stayed the hero that Barry shaped you to be. Now, now my dear Alexandra. Barry marries Iris, and you work at my side. It's beautifully ironic actually."

Alex's face dropped. Barry marries Iris? He told her himself that he wasn't in love with the girl anymore. He even told Joe that he was falling in love again, she just assumed it was her. "Why would I work with you? What even drove me to be evil?"

"You're brother... is a very interesting boy. I watched him and you grow apart just as I watched you and Barry grow up," Wells leaned against the far wall of his cell. "When he didn't accept you with your powers, you grew apart from 'Team Flash'. Your powers are extraordinary, Alex. Because of your gain of meta human's abilities, you age slower thanks to Barry.

"You out aged all those around you. It wasn't until your brother died did you really tip the scale. He was all you had left and once he was gone nothing was stopping you from mayhem. Barry, although he married Iris, still cared deeply about you. It was why he could never stop you. The anger you felt, the fear of never being able to be with your loved ones in the afterlife, that's what drove you to evil. That's why you joined with me."

Alex had tears in her eyes. The reality of everything he was saying was true. If Barry aged slower, then she would have no choice but to age with him. She would outlive her brother, her friends, nearly everyone she cared about. Everyone besides Barry. She would become dependent on him, just as he would depend on her.

The idea began settling in her head. Wells was right, how could she retain what was left of good in her if there was nothing left to live for? Her brother was the only family she had left and she couldn't lose him. Would he really not accept her powers? Or the good she was trying to use them for?