~Ch.1: The Test~

8 years later, 2 years before the Brightest Night...

"What are you?"

"A spy," Silverstripe answered.

"Who are you?" Starseer asked.

"No one of any importance," Silverstripe replied, maintaining eye contact with Starseer's violet eyes.

"What is your role?"

"I am the fly on the wall."

"What are your weapons to defend that role?" Starseer pressed.

"My mind and my tongue," Silverstripe said smoothly.

Starseer paused with a satisfied smile.

Silverstripe held still and perked her ears for another question.

"What is your name?" Starseer asked after a moment.

"That depends," Silverstripe replied. "I could be anyone, but usually I am Abyss when posing as a SeaWing."

"Excellent!" Starseer exclaimed.

"What are my scores?" Silverstripe asked curiously as she released the breath she'd been holding.

"You passed!" Starseer said with a broad smile. "You can recieve your first assignment in a few days. Don't forget to tell my brother!"

"I won't," Silverstripe said, laughing softly. "I'll tell him as soon as I can."

"Make sure to add in that his sister is a good teacher," Starseer said with a wink.

"I'll tell Defender," Silverstripe assured her.

"You're dismissed," Starseer said in her formal voice again.

"Thank you!" Silverstripe called out as she vaulted off the clifftop. She dove into the ocean and out again, just for the fun of it as she searched for her parents' cavern in the cliffside.

There!

Silverstripe flew into the cavern, careful not to graze her wings on the stone walls as she landed.

Cove flashed a greeting, gently embracing her daughter as she entered.

Silverstripe smiled at the blue-green SeaWing, and tapped her snout to indicate a question (one of the few ways she could speak Aquatic without flashing her stripes).

No, he's still sleeping, Cove replied, gesturing to one of the tunnels in the back of the cavern.

"Long shift?" Silverstripe mouthed.

As usual, Cove replied. You know Morrowseer... How did training go?

Silverstripe felt a broad grin spread across her face.

That good? Cove asked, her green eyes shining with glee.

"Starseer gave me the verbal test," Silverstripe said in the softest voice she could muster despite her excitement.

Oh? Cove flashed.

"I passed."

Silverstripe watched as a smile spread across Cove's face. Her eyes gleamed with excitement, and her glowscales shined a bit brighter as she hugged her daughter, entwining their tails.

Silverstripe pulled away from the embrace to add, "Starseer says I'll get my first assignment within a few days."

I'll miss you, youngling, Cove flashed affectionately, wrapping her wings around her tightly. She then added, You'll have to tell your father when he wakes up!